• Register Today It's free!

Bought Another Explorer

Explorin'VA

Reaction score
City, State
P-twn
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 xlt
I'm always looking for cheap 1st gens for sale, and when I found this 1991 sport on craigslist I had to check it out. When I get there to look at it I find a really clean sport with a 5 speed and manual t-case :D. It has lots of new parts under the hood like a brake master cylinder, radiator, and alternator. It doesn't appear to have ever seen mud. It also has a good inspection sticker until November. Luckily the owner has about 20 cars in his yard and just wants to get rid of them. I gave him a deposit of half the cost and he wrote me a bill of sale until I can arrange to have it towed later this week.

The only real problems are a noticeable lifter tick, a battery drain problem, and it's missing the hubs. It had manual hubs but he sold them along with the hub nuts so I'll have to convert them back to automatic, but being an explorer guy I have all the parts already!

Once I get it insured and registered I plan on driving it around until I finish some much needed work on my 94 so it can pass inspection. My plans are to keep the sport as a second vehicle and build it to be a trail rig. I have a lift kit sitting around that I'm itching to install on something. My other option is to take the parts from the sport (mainly the t-case) and put it into my XLT, which already has had a lot of work put into it. Parting it out would supply funds to finish some projects I had planned for the XLT, but the sport is already cool the way it's set up, so I'm hesitant about tearing it apart. I guess only time will tell what the best option is. I'll post updates as they come!

wbovuv.jpg

flh4k1.jpg

14xmlud.jpg

280mc5s.jpg

So what'd it cost you?

It cost me 500. This is the third explorer I've bought for that amount. The first one is the one in my sig which has been my daily driver since I was 16. The second was a green 4-door with a 6" lift/soa that I parted out. I was able to get a 4.10 d35 and an m5od from that truck. I sold the motor, lift, rear end, and scrapped the body.

Back