• Register Today It's free!

Brake installation

trump

Reaction score
City, State
Monongahela,Pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer XLT
I am having problems installing rear brake pads on my 13 Explorer. I have the service manual. It says to turn the piston in, but I can turn the pistons on both calipers to go in until they stop, but not far enough to fit over new pads. Do I have to disconnect parking brake cables? Also, I am replacing front warped rotors. Do I need to remove the screw in the rotors to get them off?

I am having problems installing rear brake pads on my 13 Explorer. I have the service manual. It says to turn the piston in, but I can turn the pistons on both calipers to go in until they stop, but not far enough to fit over new pads. Do I have to disconnect parking brake cables? Also, I am replacing front warped rotors. Do I need to remove the screw in the rotors to get them off?

What are you using to wind in the rear caliper pistons? The tool from the auto parts store? I used one and mine wound in until they were flush with the caliper and the caliper then easily slid over the rotor.

And yes, you have to remove torx screws to remove the rotors. If you aren't replacing them when replacing pads, best practice is to have them resurfaced to bring them back to true once more.

Thanks. I got the pistons turned in, and I got the torx bolts out.

Back