Brake lights not lighting up all the time. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Brake lights not lighting up all the time.

The other day my friend was following me and noticed that when we where stopped at stop lights, my break lights where not on. When we got to our destination, we checked out the situation. We found that sometimes the left light would come on and sometimes it would not. The right light never went on. However, the lights always illuminated when I flipped my headlights on. Yesterday I took apart the lights to find that the left bulb was fine but the right bulb was burnt out. I replaced the bulb but the break lights still where not working. Neither the left, right, or third light on top. I then drove the truck to a friends house (hoping no cops where behind me) and noticed that all three where now working :confused: . I have a feeling that the problem is either a relay going south or a bad ground that keeps getting shakin. Connecting and then loosing its connection with the metal. Where is the ground and/or relay located for the break lights? Anyother ideas that could be the problem?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Once again, this afternoon I was driving and the lights where not working and tonight I went out and they where. I think it might be a lose ground because it seems like when I hit bumbs, it makes it either work or not work. Where is the relay for the break lights located (just to be on the safe side)?

Fuse #13--15 amp is the only thing I see for the brake lights.

I had a similar problem, I had a gunked up connector in the trailer light connection. It was stopping my brake lights from working. I just unplugged it and they worked again. It is located on the drivers side rear tucked up underneath. Just lay under the rig on the dr side look up in the extreme corner, it is a round gray connector about the size of a 1/2 dollar.

I looked at all my fuses yesterday. The only fuse that was broken was #30 which I think had something to do with the trailor connection and breaking. I know exactly where that connector is, what should I do to clean it out? These are the breaks on the truck, not a trailor.

I would not think it is a ground issue since the 3rd brake light would ground in a different location than the regular brake lights, but I could be wrong, I would think it is on the power side, maybe even the brake switch on the peddle itself????

I would not think it is a ground issue since the 3rd brake light would ground in a different location than the regular brake lights, but I could be wrong, I would think it is on the power side, maybe even the brake switch on the peddle itself????

I was just flipping through my Hayne's manual as the computer was starting and noticed the switch on the wiring diagram. That definitly could be the problem. Is it a possibility that it is only working part of the time? Also is there any sort of relay in the system that could be going bad? If that switch is a problem, I REALLY hope it is not a special order part! Also now that I am thinking about, I doubt it is a short because the second filament in the bulb is lighting up when I turn on the headlights, ALL the time. This means the bulb is getting power and a connection.

Like I said," a similar problem". The switch on the pedal could be the culprit. Have you had any aftermarket applications installed on your rig? I always look at them first to see if the wiring has gone bad. A hitch and harness added? Might be a bad splice in the new wiring.

Like I said," a similar problem". The switch on the pedal could be the culprit. Have you had any aftermarket applications installed on your rig? I always look at them first to see if the wiring has gone bad. A hitch and harness added? Might be a bad splice in the new wiring.

Just new taillights. These taillights leaked and lots of water got in but the wires and bulbs have had well over 48 hours to dry. Harness never added, just the round gray connector that you talked about previously but that came stock.

Just new taillights. These taillights leaked and lots of water got in but the wires and bulbs have had well over 48 hours to dry. Harness never added, just the round gray connector that you talked about previously but that came stock.

All right, when did you install the new lights, way b/4 the problem started? If your taillights filled with water, then the water had to drain somewhere, and your connectors, & or harness could be corroded. A volt meter check on your lights would be a good way to check how much voltage is actually getting to the bulbs. If your voltage is weak, it might be a indicator you have damaged/corroded wiring. The stock trailer light connector is in line with the third brake only. All your brake lights are tied into one harness that leads to your brake pedal switch. I would go after the most obvious choice, your connections where the new taillights are made.I would try cleaning the inside of the connectors, a spray electrical contact cleaner can be purchased for around $5.

Good luck!:salute:

All right, when did you install the new lights, way b/4 the problem started? If your taillights filled with water, then the water had to drain somewhere, and your connectors, & or harness could be corroded. A volt meter check on your lights would be a good way to check how much voltage is actually getting to the bulbs. If your voltage is weak, it might be a indicator you have damaged/corroded wiring. The stock trailer light connector is in line with the third brake only. All your brake lights are tied into one harness that leads to your brake pedal switch. I would go after the most obvious choice, your connections where the new taillights are made.I would try cleaning the inside of the connectors, a spray electrical contact cleaner can be purchased for around $5.

Good luck!:salute:

Its very possible the problem started before I changed the lights. I will check the connections. The water never drained. It pooled inside the lense :mad: .

Here is a link with pics:

http://explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=226027

Whatever the prob is, after you fix it, a seep hole at the bottom of your new lights would drain the moisture as it builds. A small 1/8" hole drilled into the plastic.

I am trying to go around the edges with some clear sealent. Hopefully that will keep all of the water and moisture out. If not, I will definitly be doing what you mentioned.

Fixed the problem today, it was the switch. Thanks a lot to all.

Good deal, glad you found it. I agree with you on trying to seal the light first, before drilling a hole, if you can keep the moisture out of it completely it will not fog up, if you just drill a hole the water will not accumulate, but it will still fog up.

I am happy you found the prob as well. I was thinking that the new lights had "vents" in it and sealing it up tight was not an option, hence the seep hole.

I am seeling the vents with Marine Putty. And the edges with clear Seal-all waterproof glue.

Back