Brake pedal mushy & not safe, Ford says it's ok and no tsb on it-? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Brake pedal mushy & not safe, Ford says it's ok and no tsb on it-?

Darcie

Reaction score
City, State
Mpls, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT V8, 2007 Ltd. V8
I did some research on this, and found and fwd the tsb to my Ford service advisor, but he says its not a valid # and no tsbs for my 2007 Explorer Limited V8....brakes going to floor, pump them up and work fine, replaced mc, a bit better but still dangerous, bled abs unit, a bit better but still dangerous, Ford tech says they are fine, wth no they are not.
So had the Service advisor take it for a drive, he put a big sign on it for the runner that said Weak Brakes....but technicians can find no problem or fix.....pedal unit may have helped some people but not all of them from what I've read.

I've had the vehicle for years and this just started. I can't possibly tow my travel trailer let alone let my son drive it- it's really not safe. Shocked Ford isn't more concerned about this given the potential liability...Looking for any new info on this issue- thanks!!
Darcie

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm not really sure what to say. My 2007 has never had rock solid brakes so there is that. It has always helped if I give it a quick pump before I brake but they are far from inadequate.
I find it odd that they were not willing to work on it. Were you insisting that the work be done for free since you found a TSB? It may be that it is not valid for your model and you may have to pay to have it fixed if it is that bad.
There are plenty of reasons why a 12 year old vehicle could have weak brakes. Calipers have an O-ring in them that can go bad - the same with your master cylinder - and the flexible hoses that connect the caliper to the hard lines can swell causing less pressure at the caliper.
If you are trying to get the work done for free at the dealer then you are not going to get your brakes fixed.

No not trying to get brakes done for free. Calipers are newish, and MC is new. I'm wondering if they know this is a problem they can't (easily?) fix....My Explorer has always had excellent brakes, last brake job was done with all Ford OEM parts, including calipers. Seems that others have been dealing with this resistance from Ford to fix it too, would like to hear from them. Thx.

If you aren’t getting satisfaction at one dealer, try another.

I just got a 08 Mountaineer that after my buddy changed the front brake pads, rotors, and calipers (he bled) the pedal goes to the floor. Did some searching and some say replace brake pedal assembly following the TSB:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/H...2_2007_ford_explorer_brake_pedal_feel_tsb.pdf

How does that cure problem?

Good question, would like to know that too. However, this looks to be the only fix I have seen from Ford, but my local dealer (North Country Ford in MN) says my VIN isn't included in this TSB, so they says it would be a "complete leap of faith" to do that repair. Was hoping some people that have done that would weigh in.

Try a different dealer. I once had a brake issue which didn't cover my VIN. The service manager overheard the conversion and interrupted and said "if the backing plate rusted through, just do it." I got one complete rear brake job done for me for free.

Yeah I just called a different dealer, who found the TSB right away, and who corrected what the former dealer told me, and said TSB's are not linked to VINs like recalls, so the other dealer was wrong by telling me that since nothing came up, it wasn't applicable.

And he'd said he couldn't find the TSB either.... IMO incompetent at this point- they were the same ones who put the wrong trans fluid in my Explorer twice, and then when finally flushing it out after it was slipping, they accidentally shorted it 2 qts...then it started locking up. They don't want to deal with that screw up, so guessing that why they are being evasive about fixing my brakes. They just want me to go away. Jack*sses. Avoid that dealer if ever in Mpls!

I should add that my brake issue was related to a recall, not a TSB. I'm glad that you found another dealer who is a little bit better informed.

Back