• Register Today It's free!

Brakes

gulfportcarl

Reaction score
City, State
Gulfport, Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 ranger
I have a 2002 ranger and the brake pedal seems soft when you step on the brakes. Brake pedal squeeks also. Brake fluid is full, pads are still good.

Thanks

Welcome to Explorer Forum! It could be the booster. I would hold the pedal down as hard as you can. See if it goes down to the floor super slow.

Soft, ineffective brakes are my #1 gripe about this generation of Explorers. It's the first Ford product that I've ever owned that had what I feel to be sub-par brakes. Other older Fords always tended to be a bit over-braked, and were real touchy.

I've tried darn near everything to improve the feel of my brakes, including going from the original ceramic compound pads to a more performance-oriented carbon metallic, and though it did help some, it's still not as great as I feel it should be. I then went even further into it, bleeding the ABS unit with a scan tool, only to find out there was absolutely no air in the system, and no improvement was made by doing so.

I talked to a friend of mine who runs a large repair/towing facility, and asked him if he ever ran into this on these vehicles, and he told me that's the way they are. He even mis-diagnosed one as having a bad master cylinder because he thought the pedal was too soft, only to find out that a new master cylinder didn't change a thing. He talked to some people "in the know" at Ford about this, and they told him that the way brakes are diagnosed on these is with a simple road test...If the brakes stop the vehicle in a reasonable distance, they're fine, even though the pedal can be pressed harder after coming to a complete stop.

In a nutshell...It's the way they are, and you should just get used to it.
That's not the answer I want to hear either, but it's the only one I've been able to get.

Back