• Register Today It's free!

Breaking wheel studs

Mounty 09

Reaction score
City, State
Nothern IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Mountaineer
So today I was going to paint my brake calipers. Started on the front and took the drivers side wheel off with no problem. Passenger side was a different story. I ended up breaking one of the studs off. So I put everything back together minus 1 lug and run to the parts store to get a new wheel stud. Come back and I broke or stripped the last 4. I am running Gorilla lug nuts. What is going on here? I am getting more studs tomorrow but don't want to break studs every time I want to take the wheels off.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just stripped one of mine two nights ago rotating my tires...:fire:

mid summer when I put my new wheels on. The thing that gets me is that I had them off just fine, put them back on drove for 20 minutes and then they broke.

Idk that's weird, what did you torque them to? In the future just put a little dab of grease on the end of the nut and then you put it on. Ive always done that and never had a problem.

anti-sEize maybe?

mid summer when I put my new wheels on. The thing that gets me is that I had them off just fine, put them back on drove for 20 minutes and then they broke.

did you over torque them?

I torqued them to 115 which it what I have always herd to torque them to.

Yea I can gladly reccomend the anti-seize goop, its on my GA from the previous owner on the studs, and they came off easy as pie when I had todo my brakes yesterday (Not loose, just no corrosion, or any damage)

Back