• Register Today It's free!

breaklights staying on!?!

JawzSS

Reaction score
City, State
Delaware
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 Mountaineer
my break lights have been staying on without me pressing the pedal. this happened on one of my other cars and i replaced the part but i forget what its called...is it the break control switch? on the top of the break pedal column?

as annoying as it is for me to keep pulling up on the pedal after breaking..its probably just as annoying for those behind me.

what is the part called? and is it something I can get at pepboys?

thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i had the same issue brake light activator switch i think the parts dept told me i just turned it a little bit and the problem went away. Hope its take easy for you too. (took me a new battery to figure it out)

Thanks man.. I'll try that

Sounds like a bad brake light switch. It is located near the top of the brake pedal under the dash area.

You might be able to fix it without replacing it!

When my brake lights stayed on, I removed the switch, sanded down the contacts (due to buildup from arcing), and lubed the plunger. It has been working great ever since.

Check out this thread: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums//showthread.php?t=263098

The whole thing is a great read. My experience starts at post #20 and there are good pics by azdevildog0311.

If you do decide to replace it instead of repairing it, I believe the replacement switch from Ford is different and comes with a wiring harness so it's not a simple plug and play option. I think the switch for the Aerostar is a direct replacement. I will try to find the thread that explains this.

Hope I didn't confuse you too much.

Good luck. :D:thumbsup:

any luck with the switch?

Back