Bridgestone/Ford Class action Law suit | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Bridgestone/Ford Class action Law suit

rogue

Reaction score
City, State
Salem, Or
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Limited
Firestone/Ford Class action Law suit

I heard today on the radio that a class action law suit has been approved against Firestone and Ford for de-valuation of the explorer because of the problems.

Does anyone have more information about this???

Thanks,
Rogue

DEARBORN -- Noninjury claims by millions of owners of Ford Explorers and Firestone tires will be tried in a nationwide class-action lawsuit, a judge ruled Wednesday.
U.S. District Judge Sarah Evans Barker ruled that owners of Explorers made between 1991 and 2001 are automatically included in the suit. Owners of certain Firestone tires made after 1990 -- including Wilderness, ATX and ATX II -- also are included.
The consolidated lawsuits against Ford Motor Co. and Bridgestone/Firestone Inc. do not involve cases of personal injury from tire blowouts or vehicle rollovers, but rather focus on compensation for such things as time spent replacing recalled tires or loss of the vehicle's resale value.
"It's for everybody who can prove they suffered damages as a result of owning the vehicles," said Mike Eidson, a lead plaintiffs' attorney.
Barker's decision is a blow to Ford and Firestone because most of the claims would not have been pursued as individual lawsuits. In a statement, Ford said Barker's decision was "mistaken." Both companies plan to appeal.
Ford spokesman Ken Zino said that even if the case goes to trial, the automaker expects to prevail. "There are no injuries here," he said.
Federal safety officials have linked Firestone tires on Explorers to 271 traffic deaths and more than 700 injuries.

I'm sorry... but this is a BS lawsuit, and I myself wish they'd take me out of it!! I've yet to lose anything since I got my explorer! I wish you would of asked me first!!

I agree with Leebo!! Whatta bunch of BS!! This is just another example of some sleazy lawyers finding some greedy people who want to rip off Ford & Firestone. I'm on my 2nd X and I don't feel any different about the trucks than I did before all of the media frenzy about the tires. If anything I've gained from it since Ford paid to have new tires put on my truck!!

If I get anything in the mail asking if I want to be included, I'm definitely gonna tell 'em where to stick it!!

Interesting. I thought I heard something about this. You don't have to claim against the suit. Plus, it sounds like you have to prove you lost money be it from time or resale value. I am not sure how people could prove that. Ok, so I lost some work time getting new tire, but heck I have five new KOs that Ford paid for(well, almost).

I am not sure how I think about this. I think if a company knowingly puts out a dangerous product they should pay for it. The other side of the coin is, They(Ford) has taken care of it by replacing tires. Ford should have known better in the first place, but I think if anyone should be targeted, it should be Firestone. I think they are paying for it by loss of customers.

It would be nice if I decide to sell my X that they would cover any loss of value, but how can you prove that??? Has this whole thing caused a loss in value of the X or has the economy, gas milage, and normal driving caused the loss of value? I believe it is hard to say and harder to prove.

Later,
Rogue

Back