Broke my outter door handle, now I'm locked out. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Broke my outter door handle, now I'm locked out.

motopsycho650

Reaction score
City, State
Denver, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT
Well, today was the first snow in Boulder, CO and my door froze shut on my recently acquired '94. I used to have a trick that worked on my '92, but today I broke the door handle.

The bigger problem is, that was the only unlocked door, and the keys are in it. I know I should have made key copies right away, but I was lazy about that.

I have 2 questions. First, does anyone know what size the security torx screws are that hold the door handle on? I'm going to have to buy a tool. Second, can I get the handle out without removing the internal door panel? I guess the better question is, would it be easier to remove the door handle and try to grab the linkage from the outside? Or should I rent a slimjim kit from Napa and get the other door unlocked?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You should definitely go the slimjim route, you'll save yourself a lot of trouble.:usa:

If you have power door locks try using a coat hanger, Metal ones works plastic ones don't. My ex would lock keys in every car we ever had and I had to unlock them or skip work and a days pay. Just get the hanger on the inside and hit the power door lock button.

I'll pull my door panel off later and take a peak. If you don't have power door locks your best bet is to aim for the door handle. On our trucks all you have to do is pull the inside handle out with the hanger and the door opens :)

If I had a dig-cam I would snap a picture of the inside of the door so you would know what to aim for. But I don't :(

Every year or so we have a large tent sale at our county fair grounds. They sale tools on the cheaper end, Cheap brand tools. My father purchased a $150 slim jim kit years ago for $25 there. :)

It's worth looking into.

Well, just FYI for everyone. The door handles look like they have security torx screws holding them on. Turns out they are really big rivets. I had to drill them out. I used carrage bolts to put it back together.

I didn't have much issues slim-jimming the passenger side. I found a piece of wood to use as a shim to spread the window & outter door panel. I used a piece of wire coat hanger and it didn't take too long.

I used to use a coat hanger to press the unlock button through the sun-roof on my old '92. This '94 doesn't have a sun-roof.

Thanks for updating us and I'm glad you got it fixed, sounds like a real PITA to me. Hope I never break one but chances are now that I said that I'll break one :(

All my friends have 2nd gens for me to steal parts from. They were purchased with intentions of junking them and let me have parts super cheap. One has a 94 EB but it's almost down to the body panels now :(

adding my 2¢s

Locked my keys in the Ex the other day.......stupid me...and friend showed up with a slim jim. He was able to open the door, but in the process broke the plastic clip that links the key-lock cylinder to the metal rod that links to the power lock actuator. Fortunately I was able to get a replacement from my local parts counter for $8. Took some fiddling to get it all back together and learned what the little wiring thing does on the back of the lock cylinder. I believe it's part of the factory alarm that tells the alarm system whether or not the door was unlocked by the key or if it was opened by reaching in and opening the door with the handle. Just sharing my story.

Back