Broken fuel line, Help!

chriswells78

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Powell(Columbus), OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Limited
I was changing my fuel filter for the first time since I have owned the truck, and it looked like the factory filter. It was so rusted on that I broke the line on the tank side as I was tugging to remove it. Now I have a broken fuel line.

It broke at the tank end connection of metal to rubber. Does anyone know, is there a special tool that I need to buy to crimp another line in or do I have to replace the whole line from the tank back to the filter?

Help is appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What exactly broke? Did you tear off the hose or just pull out the internal garter spring.?

the nylon hose can be repaired if this is where it ripped. Basically you cut off the stainless factory metal end and re-install the hose after you trim off the damaged end.

So where is the break exactly?
Also parts stores (Car Quest, Napa) carries replacement fuel line sections so it may be an option...

Ok, there is a hard line that comes from the tank, and ends about 8" from the filter. There is a metal connector that holds a nylon line into that hard line and the nylon line goes to another metal connector, connecting the nylon to where the filter connects. The nylon line pulled out of the metal connector at the hard line to the tank.

My wife's camera is broken so I cannot attach a pic.

Fixed!

I went to Napa. I bought 12" of 3/8" rubber fuel line, 4 small hose clamps and a 3/8" fuel connector...all totaling $21.00.

I had to cut the old pressed on connector to the fuel line, to do this I had to carefully use a hack saw blade and slowly through the old connector. One slice on either side because I didn't want to damage the fuel line that went to the tank and have to replace this too. I also didn't want to bust out my dremmel because I didn't want to create any sparks...for christ sake...this is a fuel line. slowly but surely I cut the old connector off. With a little Vasoline and the hose clamps (2 on either end...yes I am a little **** retentive) I secured one end to the hard fuel line and the other to the fuel filter connector after cutting the hose down to about 7".

Finally I was able to get some closure to this pain in the ass feel filter situation. When I started the truck, there was a little burp in the engine as the air in the line was purged but no major problems and no leaks. :D

chriswells78 said:
I went to Napa. I bought 12" of 3/8" rubber fuel line, 4 small hose clamps and a 3/8" fuel connector...all totaling $21.00.

I had to cut the old pressed on connector to the fuel line, to do this I had to carefully use a hack saw blade and slowly through the old connector. One slice on either side because I didn't want to damage the fuel line that went to the tank and have to replace this too. I also didn't want to bust out my dremmel because I didn't want to create any sparks...for christ sake...this is a fuel line. slowly but surely I cut the old connector off. With a little Vasoline and the hose clamps (2 on either end...yes I am a little **** retentive) I secured one end to the hard fuel line and the other to the fuel filter connector after cutting the hose down to about 7".

Finally I was able to get some closure to this pain in the ass feel filter situation. When I started the truck, there was a little burp in the engine as the air in the line was purged but no major problems and no leaks. :D
Not to ask an ignorant question...but when you said one slice on either side did you mean lengthwise....and how long approx. did that take?

Phredawgy said:
Not to ask an ignorant question...but when you said one slice on either side did you mean lengthwise....and how long approx. did that take?
Nevermind that.....I should have known given my size( Im about 240) and limited amount of space I would have to make more than 2 cuts.....it was a day long process. With the heat(Arizona) Mosquitos.......and other things...but I finally got it off without cutting into the fuel line....I still have the old fuel filter and cannot even with it in a vice at the moment get that damn quick connect off.......now running fuel injection hose and clamped at the fuel line....do I need a Connector to the fuel filter or just a clamp on either side of the nipple?

you should have a quick connect on either side of the nipple (on the ends of the filter as I assume you mean?) and clamp them to the fuel line then clamp the rubber fuel line to the hard line. If it wasn't so late here, I would go take a pic for you.

chriswells78 said:
you should have a quick connect on either side of the nipple (on the ends of the filter as I assume you mean?) and clamp them to the fuel line then clamp the rubber fuel line to the hard line. If it wasn't so late here, I would go take a pic for you.
Funny thing, the only place here in town I have seen quick connects so far....Pep Boys acted like I was an alien when I asked them for it.....was at Walmart...in their Air Conditioner and Air tool Section......go figure.......I'm going to go check the Napa store and Checker after and see if they have them......or look them up on AutoZone's website....they have no clue or interest in stuff you ask them...til you bring a copy of their web page that says that item is in stock...then all the sudden they can find it......

Fuel lines

Just finished a repair on a fuel line from tank to filter. I broke the flex part of the hose trying to get the filter off using the metal removal tool. In Canada we don't have the replacement quick connectors from Dorman (Yet, but soon?) I salvaged the quick connector from the line buy cutting the compressed fitting with a hacksaw -2 sides and it removed easy. I picked up 2ft of rubber fuel injection line (5/16), only need 9inches, and some clamps at the local part store. The PITA part of this job was cutting the compressed fitting under the truck while the front of the explorer was up on ramps. Yes possible but tireing. Both ends now have a niced raised flanges from compression fittings and the clamps should have no problem keeping the hose in place. In the future I am thinking of putting 1/4 inch fuel injection line on just for a really snug fit. I'll try this for awhile and check for leaks frequently.

How do you go about replacing that whole line? (line that connects the fuel filter to the main fuel line)?

Back