Broken handle on the outside of the rear hatch. | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Broken handle on the outside of the rear hatch.

I do recommend watching the above video. Solved a number of issues for me. Real nice demo on how to get the panel off with the hatch closed. Nice demo of how to move the latch to open it once you have the panel off and access to the latch. Pretty clear video of the rod attaching to the handle, etc.

Most importantly, is the problem with the replacement clip that is shown in the video from Napa (and looks identical to the Dorman part that I got at Advance), is that the hole for the rod is too small and therefore the clip does not want to fasten!!

Me, after hours wrestling with the new clip and trying to use half of the old clip with no luck, I gave up and found a nylon zip tie to hold the rod to the clip.

When this fails, which I expect won't be long, I'll buy another damn clip, and drill and tap it to the proper diameter for the rod.

At least now I know why I never could get the damn clip to work the two or three other times I tried to fix this!

Back