• Register Today It's free!

Liftgate glass hinges on an '04

Pyzon

Reaction score
City, State
Central Ohio/Western NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'04 XLT
I've determined that my '04 XLT is not eligible for for the recall to replace the rear glass hinges despite the fact that my issue is identical to the recalled models, cracked hinges at the hinge pins. Luckily I caught the glass and prevented it from shattering the other day after watching the right hinge become more mis-aligned the past few months.

I am aware of the hinge replacement kit that was put together for the recall, Ford part 2L2Z-78420A68-AA which supplies both left and right hinges for close to the cost of one. One dealer tells me this is the correct one for '04 models also, one says not. Any help out there ? My date of manufacture was 4/8/04 if that makes a difference.

Thanks too all that contribute to this fine source of info, I'm reading almost every post and learning daily.

Pyzon

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

hmm , i will have to look at mine. I know they are rusted for some odd reason.

care to post up a picture of what you are talking about? so i can look for it on mine.

i had the same issue, the kit you listed is the one i got and installed with no issues. hope this helps.

My liftgate hinges broke today!

My liftgate has been not working correctly for several weeks. When I tried to close it, it seemed like it was not aligned correctly or something. Well today when I closed it, the left hinge broke. The right hinge broke later when I was trying to duct tape the liftgate on so it wouldn't break off when driving it to the dealership.

I looked up my VIN, no recall for 2004's. Seems suspicious that it would be similiar to the recalled items for 2002's & 2003's. Not sure what my manufactured date is either, but I bought it in Feb/04.

Dealership quoted an estimate of about $145. The liftgate was saved, it didn't fall & break as I've heard others doing.

mine did the same thing with weak hinges , then my panel crack , then one month later my rear window has blown out ?? but my window type is DOT 75 not in recall neither is my hinges this is odd .. cause the window for recall is DOT 430 but mine did all the same things ??? ford is up to something

I had this problem. Replaced the hinges. A few months later, the back windshield exploded while I was driving down the street. Dealer said old bad hinges had weakened it over time with stress and my replacement hinges was not done improperly.

Well i went threw a whole battle with ford and nothing got fixed by them they dont care so i went threw my insurance company but was told that it will break again in a few years

taking my 04 in on tuesday to have the hinges fix, sounds like the glass is going to fall out soon.

just had the hinges fix today they charged 104.00 to fix one side. hope that last for awhile.

Anyone have a success story to go along with the recall? Mine shows up as qualifying and it makes a rattling noise when I'm on a bumpy road. Did they fix it by changing them?

at least yours is with the recall mine was not and it is the same hinges. if you have a 04 it is not part of the recll every other year is execept the 04, the only fixed the one hing that was broke and it is with the same hinge.

My '02 screw going through the glass was stripped and fell out. Luckily the glass didnt break and it should be under warranty. Cant wait to get to the dealership and hear what story they give me to try and charge me. Will keep you all posted on how it goes.

just replaced my liftgate hinges one of them where broken the kit was 40 bux from ford , best if done with 2 people tho, all installed no worries for window blowin out .

Glass hinge on 04 ford exp

Over the weekend my 04 Ford EXP glass hinge broke. It was new to impossible to close alone. I went to the Ford dealership and they have a recall on the 02 and 03 Ford EXP and I was told the 04 was too new for recalls. Ford Motor Company told me to keep my bill and parts so if a recall is made for the 04's I would get my money back.

Hello all...This is my only real issue with my 2002. It was replaced under the "recall", although later it broke while in motion, all was secured. I originally attempted the fix w/ a matching (down to color code) top half,from the same year from a yard after extensive searching.
It then shattered while we were just torquing up the left side which all closed fine but seemed slightly misaligned.
I then brought it to the dealer and paid over $2000 when all was said & done.

A word to the wise...the various dealers you can call will not cover glass under their "warranty". -Exact words, "we ASSume someone threw something and you can't prove anything because it's in a million pieces."

I went to the best recommended window filming/(tint), if it was to break, we shall see where.

I also have a concern w/ the lower piece w/ the emblem, (it seems to be spreading away from the adhesive to the glass & we are only barely starting the warmer weather.

Any advice on how to handle it as I would attempt something myself but if it did still eventually break, I'm afraid that would void my $2k.

If anyone does want hinges, I still have the replacements if anyone wants them for free.

Do you still have those hinges?

Hey, I know it's been a while since you posted that thread, but if you still have those hinges, I could definitely use them!

Thanks!:cool:

took the explorer in today to get both hinges fix. hopefully they don't break the glass when they but the new hinges in. i wish ford would come up with a fix to this problem this is the second time getting the hinges fix for us.

What is up with these hinges??

On our '04, put a new pair of genuine Ford hinges on in 2008 when the right one broke unexpectedly. Now almost 4 years later the right one is nearly broken again. Is there some corrosion inhibitor or lube that should go on the hinge pin to prevent these failures?

Had my 02 recalled hinges fixed a few years ago only problem I had it wouldnt stay close or the glass would pop open when I was driving . For me at the time to close it I had to slam it shut. Didn't know it was recalled too it was in at the ford dealer for other service and they told me.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I found a dealer on EBAY. Sells the kit for $76.92 with shipping, cheaper than what ford is willing to sell it to you for. It is the kit so it has both the right and left sides, and the new bolts. Your better off doing it your self. Dealing with the dealership isn't worth the hastle. The service guy told us that if we could do it ourselves to just do it. Heres the link:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Explorer-Mercury-Mountaineer-Rear-Window-Gate-Hinge-Kit-F141-12z-Qty-1-/200729495130?_trksid=m7&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D4%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D7209303079999558572

Back