Broken Rear Lower Shock Mount | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Broken Rear Lower Shock Mount

R146Rick

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer
Hi, Have 2000 Explorer 4Dr XLT
Left rear lower shock mount broke off while I was driving home.
Is it one piece with the Leaf spring plate that can be replaced?
Or do Need to haave it welded.
Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It's a plate:

2006-03-01_133428_1996_explorer_rear_shock.gif

Thanks for the picture.
Worked on finding the part this morning. Ford part site does not have this diagram.
Went to two different Ford Dealers, they could not find any mounts except for the single sway shock mounts. The diagrams they had showed only a square leaf spring plate with no shock mount on it. None of the local dealers had the plate in stock.
The last dealer found AN out of state dealer with one in stock.
I called them and they checked, it had the shock mount on it.
I ordered both left & the right side, figured if one broke the other side going too.
Part #s F57Z5798AE and F57Z5798AD.
Thanks again.

Good call. Probably rusted?

Why not get a used one from a wrecker $5-10 max. I have never heard of these braking, must have been defective.

Northeastern Ohio road salt issue. :-(
Work Vehicle 65 miles round trip, salt eats them up. Had bolts break off,but this is first time I had a mount break on a shock.

Went to Pull-a-part yard yesterday before ordering the new ones.
$10 a piece you take it off. None of them looked like they were in any better condition than my right side lower mount. So at $31 for left and $32 for right side I went for the new ones. Too many pot holes here. Picked up new shocks last night, waiting for new mounts. Hey Hey while writing this Ford Dealer called Plates arrived off to pick them up.

Mine still look like new at 12 years old, but I oil spray the truck each year

"oil spray" that sounds like a good idea! Then my oil leaks would blend in better to the rest of the undercarriage!:D

Actually I had an automatic undercarriage oilspray system on my suburban, the rear of the transfer case slowly seeped fluid and the universal joint on the drive shaft flung it all over the underside of the truck...it really did save the undercarriage, this was the only place under the truck that was rust free! ;)

Oil spraying vehicles is very popular in Canada. Why its not done in the USA is beyond me. Great business opportunity for someone with a bit of initiative.

I use this product. Use 2 Liters per season, and it cost about $4.50 per liter

Monarch005.jpg

Any trick(s) to replacing this bracket? Mine broke also....

Do I need to support the leaf spring? The axle? Any tips/tricks I should know about before I replace this bracket?

Paid $46 for mine at local dealer. Then found it $12 less at online site for another dealer, 15 mins further away.

Thanks all!

Do I need to support the leaf spring? The axle? Any tips/tricks I should know about before I replace this bracket?

Paid $46 for mine at local dealer. Then found it $12 less at online site for another dealer, 15 mins further away.

Thanks all!

I'd stick a floor jack under the spring in front of the plate.
Give the U bolts a good spray the day before to loosen them up.

If you have rust issues with that plate I'd be looking at the spring hangers too.

I don't know why you rust belt guys don't use fish oil and or lanolin under your cars.

Thanks, Flash....

I'd stick a floor jack under the spring in front of the plate.
Give the U bolts a good spray the day before to loosen them up.

If you have rust issues with that plate I'd be looking at the spring hangers too.

I don't know why you rust belt guys don't use fish oil and or lanolin under your cars.

JACK
-----
I'll use the jack as you suggested.

HANGERS
---------
Hangers replaced just about one year ago. I'd sold my home and had no place to do the job myself. Firestone did it when I got new tires. If they were on the ball they'd have told me the shock mount was badly rusted.

OIL UNDERCARRIAGE
--------------------
In the mid 80's I bought a 1955 Dodge C1B8 job rated pickup from orig owner. It was blue, faded like old jeans. Ran like a sewing machine. Paid $700. Unheard of today.

Anyway. The truck's entire undercarriage was coated in grease and oil. Not knowing any better, I power washed it all off. Was horrified months later when I saw everything underneath getting rusty. Learned a good lesson then.

MORE ABOUT OIL UNDERCARRIAGE
---------------------------------
Something to think about, or perhaps a question. If a vehicle underside is rusted already and one coats with oil, any moisture inherent in the bottom side will be trapped and unable to evaporate. Guess the oil cover job ought to be done after a number of dry days.

On the other hand, trapped moisture has gotta be less harmful than a winter of road salt and wet slush packed into every crevice under the vehicle.

J If a vehicle underside is rusted already and one coats with oil, any moisture inherent in the bottom side will be trapped and unable to evaporate. Guess the oil cover job ought to be done after a number of dry days.

Oil is usually hydrophobic so the moisture would move away from it.

Back