• Register Today It's free!

broken superchip was the problem

William Schumacher

Reaction score
City, State
Yonkers,NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Sport 4X4
well,just spoke to superchips,and the problem was that the chip itself was faulty. they replaced it and are overnighting it to me in the morning,the truck would stall every once in awhile,but the last time it stalled(1-1/2 weeks ago),I could not get it going without taking out the chip,and it's been running chipless since.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Originally posted by William Schumacher
well,just spoke to superchips,and the problem was that the chip itself was faulty. they replaced it and are overnighting it to me in the morning,the truck would stall every once in awhile,but the last time it stalled(1-1/2 weeks ago),I could not get it going without taking out the chip,and it's been running chipless since.

Bill

I couldn't find your original post about what happened when your SuperChip went bad. What happened? I am suspecting that their is something up with mine. I just installed it about 2-3 weeks ago. Last Sunday I was pulling forward at a stoplight when my transmission clunked into 2nd then quickly back to 1st. It wasn't your typical slipping shift. It was like "wham" into 2nd then "wham" back into first. It hasn't done it since so I am not too concerned about it. What I am concerned about happened today. I was driving down the freeway at about 55 MPH when it felt like I took my foot off the gas. My engine continued to idle, but everytime I touched the gas I could hear the engine choke and sputter. I coasted to the side of the freeway and put it into Park. My engine idled smoothly at about 1000 RPM, but if I touched the gas pedal my engine would almost die while it was sputtering. I shut off my engine and restarted it, and it ran normally. Once I restarted it though, it felt like I was down on power like my SuperChip isn't working. Since I was on my lunch hour, I didn't have enough time to find out if my SuperChip was working or not. I'll do that on my way home from work. It was a pretty scary feeling coasting along in the left lane trying to get to the right shoulder while the traffic kept going around. I have a scanner at home so I'll see if any codes were set. My Check Engine light came on while I had the problem, but once I restarted it the light went off.

Robert : it started as a once in a while stalling at parkway speed problem,(what made it hard to diagnose was that I did allot of the mods at the same time ) then 3 times in 2 days,then...4 times in a 30 minute drive,and the last time it stalled...I could not get it going. a mechanic was working accross the street from where it happened and told me to start taking out 1 by 1,the under hood mods, I thought it would be the jacobs ignition,but that was not it,I took out the chip,......and the truck started up and ran chipless for about 3 weeks,(I was very busy at work,and could not send my chip and ECU to them to check out)when I bought my chip,it would not work no matter how hard I cleaned the contacts,it turned out in my case,that superchips had to solder in wire jumpers into my ECU(computer)to complete the loop.I thought that maybe the wire came loose,and superchips thought that as well.this just turned out to be a bad chip,the tech said he never saw a bad one,
although they were able to read it,the contacts were faulty.
I'm now chipped again,
now for a cold (ram-air mod)

Did it completely stall? Mine would idle, but would stumble if I touched the gas. The idle sounded and felt normal. I just couldn't give it any gas without it stalling. The check engine light came on while it was acting up, but once I restarted it the light went out. I pulled the codes but none were set. It has to be something computer related since all I did was shut it off and restart to get it to run right. That would eliminate anything loose. My SuperChip was still working on the way home from work yesterday as well as this morning. After seeing your post about the stalling, I kept the necessary socets in my Explorer to remove the chip if I had any problems. After not having any trouble during the first two weeks, I took them out. I put them back in when I got home in in case I have to remove it along the side of the road. I also left my scanner in so that I can hook it up while the problem is happening if it happens again. If it stalls again, I'll contact SuperChip.

it would stop running

when it was acting up,it would go dead most of the time on the parkway when I was moving.the last day though,it was stalling at just about everytime I stopped at a light,and that last time,I could not get it going until I took out the chip,it makes sense to leave a set of wrenches or sockets in the truck,you never know when something is going to happen,hope you get yours taken care of. it has a lifetime warranty,good luck.....

Back