• Register Today It's free!

Superchip problems....

greengoose

Reaction score
City, State
Las Vegas, NV
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Limited
I installed my Superchip back in November....All was well until 1 month ago. I started my explorer one day and it would stall within 30 seconds after starting. It kept doing it until I removed my superchip. Reinstalled it moments later and all was well again for exactly 1 month. Tonight it started doing it again. My chip is removed until I figure this out. It had a piece of foam between the chip and computer to close the gap, also held in place with fiber tape.
Any ideas out there....anyone else have this problem???
Mine is a 99 limited 4.0 SOHC.
Thanks,
Bryan
(My 1st son is due on 20 May!!! Whooo Hooo!)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

no help on the chip but CONGRATULATOINS ON THE BABY BOY

Hmmm, you sure the chip has a very good connection with the computer? If you hit a large bump or something, it is possible the chip came loose.

My suggestion is to call Superchip on Monday. They should be able to help.

Sometimes when I had my Hypertech, the computer had problems adjusting to large weather (temp) changes. Maybe it's just so cold you have to give the truck a chance to warm up?

After having my SOHC die twice after I installed my SuperChip, I removed it. When I did, I noticed that the black electrical tape I used to secure it was very gummy allowing the SuperChip to easily fall off. I used duct tape to hold my SuperChip on and haven't had the problem since. A loose chip will cause the symptoms you are seeing.

Thanks for the ideas...Im also thinking I may have a cold solder joint on my computer jumpers. ( I needed to solder some itty biddy jumpers on the computer for my version to work.) Im also going to call Superchips om Monday. I forgot how nice the chip performed now that Im stock again.

I'm in a similiar situation. Got my chip in Aug. and took it out maybe Thanksgiving or a little after I think, because premium gas was so expensive. I used all grades with the chip in. I went to install it tonight and it wouldn't start when the chip was installed. Cleaned the contacts, used tape, etc but nothing. And my chip fits tight. I know how to install it, I did it when I bought it. So what's up. (87 octane in the tank)

BTW, I now have Ford Motorsport Headers and my Bosch +4s and wires!! :p :bounce: :D

I can't believe the above mods would effect anything.

Tek,
did you reset the computer when reinstalling the chip? My truck wouldn't start if I fiddled with the chip without disconnecting the battery.

Everytime I messed with the chip I had the Battery disc per the instructions. Just like the first time around.

Have you had your Explorer to a dealer between removing it and reinstalling it? There were a couple of recalls that involved updating the PCM software. If they did your code is no longer the same code and it won't start. They might have just updated it if there was a more current version than what it originally came with. The dealer updated my software to cure a hesitation problem I had. It changed my code from VUD1 to SRE1.

Howdy Stranger!
I wondered what happened to you. Are you back from Bosnia now? Congratulations on your upcoming son!

Back