• Register Today It's free!

Bronco II With 4.0

gigiscwboy

Reaction score
City, State
La Vista Ne
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 Exp XLT & 66 F 100 swb
Has anyone put a 4.0 and a m5r1 in a Bronco II it would seem to be almost a bolt in swap.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

NOBODY I know of, especially not several times.....

Thanks

Thanks for the link. Your BroncoII is very cool mine is a daily driver and I'm not planning to go as far with as you went with yours. You said in your thraed you've work on a few of these swaps, my truck is a 90 and I was planning to use as many "stock" parts (read as junkyard) as possible.

Hey thanks...

Okay first off do a search. I have been through this so many times its a joke! I can type everything you need to know about how to replace your 2.9L EFI with a OHV 4.0L.
You are correct it is a bolt in affair, there are a few areas that will need attention and then there is the wiring.

What I am getting at is there is alot of information already out here, and if you go read through it all, do your research, then I can help you with the details :)
I have done them in several different years and each friggin truck is different, typical Ford. Your being a 90 makes it slightly easier.
You will want to use a 93-94 OHV 4.0L, actually it can be done with any year OHV 4.0L but the 93-94 will work with your truck best. 93 did not have EGR. 91-92 are not as good, especially wiring wise, heads are weaker, etc etc.

Check out:
therangerstation.com
rangerpowersports.com

That should get you started.

THis conversion can be done in a weekend if you ahve everything you need available and the wiring built :)

OH answer the following questions too:

About the 90 2.9L truck:
Stick or auto?
2wd or 4x4? if 4x4 is it electric shift?
air conditioning? plan to keep it?
cruise control?

About the donor:
stick or auto?
year?

Bronco Specs

Thanks Again, my Bronco is a XLT with 2.9, 5 speed, air PS, PB, PW, PL,Cruise, and electric shift 4x4 (that still works). I want to keep all the equipment but if it ends up with a manuel shift Tcase it wouldn't hurt my feelings any. If I understand correctly 90 BroncoII's aready have a 1354 Tcase in them. I use this truck as a daily driver but would like to "improve" it a little, "if your truck isn't taller than you it needs lifted!" I may take it out ot play a little now and then but mostly it just gets me around. My wife has an 92 EX XLT that also has Eshift 4x4 so I may put the Bronco's Tcase in it as the motor on her Tcase went out but right now her truck is down for a new set of bearings in the m5r1 in it. I will be checking out those links you posted. P.S. this project probably won't take place till next summer I just thought a little planng ahead would be wise I like it when they're weekend projects. Also don't have a donor yet I may just get a used engine and tranny and rebuild them before the install.

Your BII only has the BW1354 case if it also has a dana 35 ttb, not the dana 28.
Many 90 BII's did have the Dana 35 up front, but not all of them.

the only difference between the 1350 T case and 1354 is the yoke for the front driveshaft.

The 4.0L SHOULD have been installed in 4x4 Bronco II's. Dont get me wrong the 2.9L is a kick ass engine, I loved mine, built it into one mean mother too...but the 4.0L has the TORQUE. You should have seen my face the day I fired up the 4.0L for the first time and took it around the block.

I have a 93 OHV with approx 190K miles on it, I converted to an automatic and now have a fully custom built automatic, I have a 8.8 rear end, 4.10 gears and 33" tires and my BII hauls ass! It also tows a 19' boat without an issue.

I spent a good year researching the conversion as well, only a few had done it before me, I learned alot the first time, but I spent another year getting it right (cruise control working, A/C wiring, etc etc..) Since then I have done the wiring for several different years and I can tell you what each wire iunder your hood does, where it goes and why, for all the different years of the OHV. DO IT! You will be happy as a CLAM. 4.0L + BII = FUN to drive

Peeked under the BII today and it has the 1354e Tcase so if understsnd you correctly it also has the D35 in the front. I'm right remembering that all BII's had the 7.5 rear though, if so I'll be wanting to change that out for an EXP or ranger 8.8, speaking of those do 5speed and auto come with the same ratio? If not are they "tagged" like the old diffs? It's been a while since I've done any "mods" to one of my trucks. Thanx, :burnout: G

Yes it shoul;d be the dana 35 TTB, or at least a *******ized version of it.
Do a search here:
therangerstation.com there is information about the early dana 35 that actually had a dana 28 ring and pinion

Yes the rear is a 7.5", and yes it will be tagged. Should say 7.5 3.23 or something along those lines it is likely you have either 3.23, 3.55, or 3.73 gears.

To install an Explorer 8.8 you will want to use 95+ and get one from an Explorer, the Ranger axle is slightly narrower. You will have to convert the 8.8 to spring over to match the BII pinion anlge and leaf spring width. You can also upgrade to the explorer leafs to stiffen up those likely sagging BII leafs.
I have a 97 Explorer 8.8 under my BII, I also ripped out the RABS valve and installed a 95 Explorer rear disc brake master cylinder with an Explorer booster.

The gear ratios and a bunch of other usefull information is on that site listed above, including articles about the 4.0L conversion, although alot has been left out...

Keep going and you will have a rig like mine! They are few and far between, and mine is a real one off with parts from 84 to 2000 being used throughout...

410: I see you got back to me before I could edit-thats ok. The fuel lines in my BII appear too be exactly the same as the ones in my wifes 92 EXP (size,type, and location) don't know if that helps. THX - G P.S. I signed up on both of those sites you recomended, still leaning to use them though.

They are not, they look similar but they are not. Look at the BII, it has dual fuel pumps, a boost pump in the tank and a high pressure pump on the rail, the Explorer has a single pump in the tank.

Does your 2.9L have a Mas Air Sensor???

Even though the connections for the fuel lines look the same, only 1 of them is the right size fitting, and it is on the wrong side. :) When you do the 4.0L conversion you will have to "fabricate" your own lines. You can use the fuel line from a 4 cylinder Ranger or a 4.0L aerostar for the filter to engine connection, but the return line will have to be built...

410Fortune said:
Look at the BII, it has dual fuel pumps, a boost pump in the tank and a high pressure pump on the rail, the Explorer has a single pump in the tank.

I am in the process of researching and doing the 4.0 swap. I just wanted to state the 89-90 Bronco II only have the high pressure in-tank fuel pump. The lines are different, but the pump will work.

Gigiscwboy, when you search those sites 410Fortune suggested, you will see some posts about swapping over the explorer coils and leafs. Do not do it! I have done it and it gives the Bronco II too firm of a ride. Yes, it will give a very slight lift. I do mean very slight. So slight you won't even notice. Sorry 410, I had to find out myself-the Hard Way. I thought there were just too many people doing this, It had to be good. What a waist of time, money and effort. Sould have listened to ya the first time. Don't Do It Gigiscwboy!!!

410Fortune is very helpful and knowledgeable. He has been helping me out and has given me a great deal of info.

Do it up and good luck!

Thanks for everything 410Fortune!

Springs

Thanks Wolfpack (love your "handle"), I'll be installing either a 3" body with a 4" suspension or a 6" suspension lift in my Bronco. National Tire has both the 4" & a 6" suspension lift for around 500$ including shocks on they're site. I want to run 33s on the truck. 410 was right about some of the 89s with dual pumps at least the 89 I had, had both. haven't been under the hood of the 90 to check that on ths one yet though. My swap is probably about a year away anyway first will be a front end overhaul and some minor rust removal (a necessity around here with anything over 10 years old - d___ the city and they're salt!) Keep Wheelin Guys! :burnout:

Back