brush guard mount vs roof rack mount | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

brush guard mount vs roof rack mount

okay. opinions needed from people that have lights on their brush guard and their roof rack. which type of lights do you have on each (ie driving, fog) and which is better in your opinion for the mounting options. from what i'm gathering, a fog beam pattern is good for the brush guard then some large driving beam pattern lights for the roof rack. is this correct? thanks all

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have PIAA 520's Fogs on my bushgruard/winch mount. I also have 2 sets of PIAA 80XT's, one set clear fogs and one set driving lights mounted to my Con-Ferr rack. The driving lights are in the middle, with the Fogs out on the sides. I have it this way because I want as much dispersed light out on the sides so I can see what I'm driving over at night and the drivine lights are ther for distance(over the regular headlights). The top fogs are aimed down close to the front of the truck, and the driving lights are aimed out further. The bushguard/winch mount fogs are aimed under the regular headlights.

...RACK.........................(F) (D) (D) (F)....................

..Guard.............................(F) (F).......................

From my experience, put as many of your lights on your roof rack...whenever I do serious mudding, my lights are useless unless I get out and wipe them. Having lights on your roof rack keeps them from getting muddy (typically....).

Just my $.02.

..........(D)...(D).........
.......(F)..........(F)......

top line are on rack and second line is brush guard

You can experiment and try out different setups and see what works best for ya. Personally, I have the PIAA 1500 XT's where the stock fog's would be, a set of 80 XT Pencil beams on the brush guard, and 2 sets of 80 XT Driving beam (the flood light) up on the Con Ferr rack. That setup works wonders for me. Pencils in the front for distance, floods at the top for spot lighting large areas.

sweet. thanks for the responses guys. what i have now are piaa 1500's driving beam in the factory fog location, and some hella 1000's on the brush guard, driving light pattern too. i picked up the hella's just cause they were available at a descent price, or i would have held out for fogs. more lights with the roof rack though :D whenever i scrape up the cash to get it

Blue Steel and nicholtl, would either of you happen to have a close up picture of a PIAA 1500XT mounted to the stock bracketry?? I have a pair of 1500s that I plan on moving there very soon and if you could provide a picture of what the mounting bracketry looks like, it may help me to decide how I want to mount mine. Thanks!

Blue Steel and nicholtl, I plan on moving my 1500's to the stock location next week. Any pictures you may have of how you mounted the PIAA's to the stock braketry would be helpful. Do you have any?

Correction:

...................(D) (D)......................
..................(D) (D)....................

yeah i've got some. email me at mainmoon@hotmail.com with your email address and i'll send them to you. what i did was take the stock fogs out, and then took the brackets out and drilled a couple holes in each bracket so the 1500's would mount the way i wanted them to go. the pictures would explain it all

Back