Building a trailer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Building a trailer

I'm thinking of building a trailer for my wife to use as a getaway from the kids. Does anyone have any suggestions of how to do this? My plan so far is to find a 6x10 utility trailer to use as a base. It also needs to be towable behind my 2001 4.0 Sport Trac. Does anyone have any information or resources they're willing to share?

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That is quite a project- I've seen home built campers, never known anyone who did it. Parts and materials will be expensive, I would think the most difficult part would be weatherproofing the exterior and making it look somewhat streamlined. I don't really have anything of value to add except figure cost of all expected materials, add some more money and make sure you can't buy a factory self contained for the same or less before you begin. Usually building your own costs more even with no labor expense.

I was not planning on building a camper trailer. She wants something like a Gypsy wagon style getaway. Not something to take on trips. The only reason I want to make it on a trailer frame is so if we move, we can take it with us. Most of the time, this will be stationary and most likely will not even have the wheels on it. She has some ideas of what she wants in it. Mostly storage for her books and all of her knitting supplies.

Look into tiny homes. There are lots of youtube videos of those little houses. I've seen some really nice ones which would work as a getaway. If you don't need kitchen/shower in it you can free up more room.

~Mark

I receintly saw the tini homes on a cable channel. They sell complet units, kits or just plans. Sounds like exactly what you are looking for.

Lots of good ideas and plans on another forum I frequent at http://www.tnttt.com/ Its all about building teardrop and tiny travel trailers. Lots of sources for materials as well as making them safe and legal to tow.

Thanks for the replys. I'm looking to build it all myself, so I'm thinking the link from da2962 will help. Anyone else have suggestions? Thanks!

If you look around you may find a gutted out Air Stream for a few hundred dollars. Great base to build on.

I ran across this web site some time ago and thought it neat. You may find it helpful.

http://www.tumbleweedhouses.com/

My suggestion would be to build it on skids so you can pull it up on a trailer to move it and still have use of the trailer. It is easy for the weight to get away from you very quickly. If you are only looking for a bunk house, that simplifies. You could start with a storage shed, put real doors and windows in it. Insulate, panel (to keep the weight down) and some simple electric lights and you are set. Hope this helps.

Back