Building my 5.0 302 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Building my 5.0 302

paulmcg1997

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 ford ranger
I have a 1997 Ford Explorer with the v8 5.0 and Im swapping it into my ranger. The engine has 147k miles on it but runs great, except an issue with the oil pressure gauge jumping up and down. I want to rebuild the whole engine but since I'm doing that I've decided to build the internals. This engine is going to be installed in a ford ranger pre runner, so it'll be offroad. This is my first engine build so im looking for some insight on what would be the best things to change since the engine will be down to it's block. My goal is to have a good amount torque as well. I already have the torque monster headers, and I plan to purchase an e303 cam. Were porting and polishing the gt40 heads, and depending how it drives like that, may end up doing the afr165 heads. Any advice is appreciated!

Your pretty much head limited.
I'd say go 347 for more torque, but I'm not sure how the gt40's would respond. I had a set of GT40p's that were professionally ported with bigger valves. I went with tw170 heads for a stronger head deck, but at the same time I gained quite a bit of low rpm torque.

If your going to buy forged pistons and forged rods, your a crank away from a stroker motor.

The possibilities stop about the time your wallet is empty.

Back