Bulb in headlight switch burned out. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Bulb in headlight switch burned out.

jaxmo

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
Hi everyone. I'm a newbie to this forum and I'd appreciate any help I can get.
I recently purchased a 96 Sport 4X4. I replaced some burned out instrument bulbs (with the help of this forum. Thanks) but ther are two bulbs I can't find anywhere, even at the Ford dealer. They are the bulbs that illuminate the headlight switch and one in the 4X4 switch. They look identical but as I said I can't locate them anywhere. The Ford Dealer says they are no longer available. He said I can upgrade to new switches but the new ones aren't illuminated. I guess my switches upgraded themselves. Anyone know where I can get them?
Thanks,
Jim

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do you know what numbers are on the bulb? Will help locating replacements.

-Tim

Do a search here for headlight switch bulb... there are posts about "replacement" equivalents that won't mean you have to buy a new switch ($40) for a 25 cent bulb.

Here is the replacement info:

The generic bulb that BUDWICH used is the type available from RADIO SHACK for about $2. It is the #7219 bulb, Radio Shack part #272-1092 and comes in a pack of 2 bulbs. 12 volts, 60mA, wire terminal base. Super simple to rewire into the holder from the switch and the burned out bulb has a rubber sleeve that can be reused ro give you back that light blue or green tint.

Excerpt from: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=149874&highlight=headlight+switch+bulb

Hope that helps
-Tim

Thanks Tim. I'll stop at Radio Shack today and I'll let you know how it goes.
Jim

I got the bulbs from Radio Shack and installed them yesterday. I replaced the ones in the headlight switch and the 4X4 switch. Works great.
Thanks for the info.
IOU1

Interestingly, I just did the headlight switch bulb in my 116K mile 1998 XLT for the second time last night. I wish I had seen this thread before I plopped down the $10.40 for the replacement from Ford. 1998 uses the green and it is still available, F87Z-13B765-DA. I disassembled my old one and the green boot seemed to want to tear apart coming off the old bulb. By the way, Radio Shack online says the bulbs are two for $1.49, so I only paid about $9.75 for a green boot and a plastic bulb holder.

I seem to have a secondary problem. My dash trim piece that holds the headlight switch and dimmer seems to be breaking apart very easily. the screw bosses and spring clip studs are breaking and splitting. I have kind of 'glued' mine back together with a low wattage soldering iron my melting the pieces back together. It is holding for now, but I doubt I'll be able to do it again. Has anyone else seen this problem?

My headlight switch broke off from mounts but the knob still holds it in place.
I've seen the trim panel on ebay. That might be your best bet. The Radio Shack bulbs work fine even though they're a bit smaller than original and the don't have colored boots. Can't beat the price. LOL

Back