Bull Bar | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Bull Bar

I'm looking to build my own custom bull bar for a 1992 explorer XL. Any suggestions on how to mount the bar to the front? Would a simple two point mount like the orginal bumper be sufficient or should I brace it more securely due to the added weight? Any suggestions from people who have previously made their own bars would be appreciated thanks.

The aftermarket "bull bars" aka "safari bars" are hilariously mounted with dinky brackets that just attach to the bottom of the frame.

If you just make a hoop in the shape you like (you could even use a prefab bar, but they are pretty thin steel, if you get a 2" x .120 steel tube and have it bent, it will be lots stronger), then weld brackets on either end to mount the bar in place of the stock bumper brackets, you'll have a pretty strong and rigid setup.

The aftermarket "bull bars" aka "safari bars" are hilariously mounted with dinky brackets that just attach to the bottom of the frame.

Aye. I once returned to my ST with it touching the bumper from someone who couldn't judge distance in a parking space. I merely pushed it back into vertical position.

Safari bars, using supplied mounts, are only good for light mounts--which is what I did with mine. :)

Back