Bumper and grille | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Bumper and grille

I just got into an accident with a telephone pole at about 15 mph from skidding out on oil. I know I'm going to need a new bumper and grille, along with a new rim and a airbag system. How hard is it to remove the bumper and grille. They are both totally ruin and I guess I would need the whole setup for the bumper. What parts(cover, brackets, reinforcements) do I need for it. Right now its at the body shop and I'm waiting for an estimate. If it's over 4k I'll have them do the airbag and reallign the hood and the driveshaft or whatever happened to the drive system. I guess I would get the bumper and grille at a junk yard since I'm only 17 and have no money. Let me know.

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So your front axle is out of alignment? That isn't good. Is your frame bent? The bumper isn't too bad, just a few bolts -- but I don't know what else you will need. I believe there is like 4-6 bolts that hold the bumper on. Good luck - and those airbags aren't going to be cheap and defilently won't be cheap to put in.

-Drew

well

I dont say everything that happened...I slid out and hit the drivers side rear wheel against a curb first which cracked the rim and blew out the tire. So the rear axle or something similar is screwed up because when you put it in drive or reverse you need to wait like 5 seconds of 2k rpm until it starts moving. Frame I don't think is damage I'm still waiting to hear from the shop with the estimate.

cisurfer said:
I just got into an accident with a telephone pole at about 15 mph from skidding out on oil.

Honest I wasnt going over 15.

when i first skidded it was liek 25 then it came down to 15 when i hit the pole

but i have seen liek 4 different types of brackets like rh lh and two others.. do i need all of them

Well I can promise you the repair will be above 4k.
It sounds rather extensive to me.

R&R ( remove and replace ) the bumper is WAY cake. 4 18mm nuts and it is off.
The grille is almost as easy. A bunch of phillips screws, after you remove the corner / marker lights.
I have a hunch your header pannel may also be damaged. This is what your grille and headlights mount to.

Most junk yards will only sell the bumper as an assembly, so that solves much of your concern.

I too am concerned about frame damage. The suspension also.
Keep us up to date and hurry up with the pictures.

Lemmie know if there is any thing I can do to help.

I see your picture without the bumper and it looks easy as hell. What about the airbag sensors in the bumper?

air bag sensors are not in the bumper

hmm were are the sum1 told me they were. Then what triggers the release of them?

they are above the frame rails behind the fiberglass header pannel. Well out of the way.

hmm wont move with out going to 2k rpm? did you bust your radiator or tranny cooler? sounds like you lost tranny fluid or maybe some tranny damage? someone will correct me if im wrong. good luck with it. Also if your back end is out of whack check your shackles , I would think they would bend before anything major, again could be wrong there too.

What are the shackles? I hit the curb parallel with the rim. I went and looked at it today at the shop and it isnt as bad as i thought. No frame damage to the front and the right side is on straight so it doesnt look like the bracket is messed up on it but the bracket is bent on the left side. The plastic black grille behind the front green grille with the ford logo on it isnt crack at all just the front green grille( my car is green). I still dont know anythign about the transmission but no damage to the radiator but i dont know about the tranny fluid. Ill know when the body shop calls. thanks

shackles are in the rear (where the leaf springs mount by the rear bumper)

well got the quote with all used parts. 5000 bux. I paid 6500 and my option is to go with insurance and have a hit against me cuz im 17. Or say the hell with it and buy a new truck. The reason it isnt shifting right is the tranny cooler and something with the fluid leeking. No damage to the suspension or drive shaft. I need a new hood, bumper, and grille also. Is it worth it to get it done...Do the bumper and grille myself?? Let me hear some advice

They say the tranny cooler cracked. Is this behind the radiator or in front or underneath? If this caused fluid to leek which they claim would this cause the trans not move the car until about 2500 rpm when it used to at liek 1000?
thanks

You might just as well get it all fixed by the insurance co. and plan on driving something with no comp or collision on it for the next three years. That way your insurance will be affordable.

no im not going by means of insurance becuz i dont want to have a strike against me since I have a really good plan. If I were to report it and then get into another accident or fine i would get droppped. How hard is it to replace the hood and tranny cooler also?

easy and easy.
With the bumper, and the header pannel off the tranny cooler is right there.
Two hose clamps and a pair of 8mm bolts.

Hood is four 8mm bolts. Ya need a helper to do a hood though.

would the cause of the gear situation be becuase of the cooler. How much do coolers usually go for? I hope I can save a bunch doing it myself.

A low fluid level in your tranny will def' cause you to not move.
List on a OEM tranny cooler is $96.75.

Check Summit racing for a B&M cooler. They are very well built. I have one of those in addition to my factory cooler.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ill definetly get that one...would you just replace the old cracked one with this one? You said you have both on it. would it work alone? What is the procedure of replacing it? Drain the tranny i would think. And just disconnect to hoses and pop it out? Ive really only have done brakes and tune-ups so far so im still a newbie lol. Can you put the link of the cooler you are talking about so I know what to get for my 99 explorer.

Thanks everyone for the help I really aprreciate it.

Back