Bumper Mount Light Brackets | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Bumper Mount Light Brackets

I'd like to do 2 big ass KC daylighters or something similar but I don't have a grille gaurd to mount them on yet so I'm just gona drill them into the front bumper but i'm scared how this will look.

Does anyone have pictures of some KC's or similar lights drilled onto the front bumper?...does anyone think it would look amazingly horrid on my eddie?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Bill, I tried pointing this out to you before but no one listened..

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

I listened. However the diagram is a guide and the pics are quite clear.
Anyone who has ever done light bracket work know its a trial & error method. Simple "cookie cutter" methods seldom work the first time. Which is why I suggested you take the diagram & pics to a body shop where they actually do the work.
I still dont know what "sucks".

How much would you estimate they would charge?

This just doesn't make any sense to me..

I think in the diagram, the indent thing should be moved down more, it's not a slanted piece.

Storlied, did you ever give this a shot yourself? I'm picking up some steel tomorrow in an attempt to make these brackets. I'll let you all know how it turns out.

I'm still wanting to do it someday, but I've got HIDs on the way .. so those should be plenty light for awhile.. =)
Dual Beam 6000K

Alright, I'll get it done and let you all know how it works/post dimensions.

This just doesn't make any sense to me..

I think in the diagram, the indent thing should be moved down more, it's not a slanted piece.

Yeah, it does need to be further down... I didn't draw the diagram, but that is my bracket you just posted.

Just take some thick wire (I use copper household grounding wire) and bend it into the shape you need to mount your lights... then make the steel match the wire profile.

What didnt work? What did work? Please let us know so the next guy wont have a problem.
Thanks, Bill

Sorry it took so long to reply. I used the diagram as a template on some 1/4 inch steel plate and it did not fit my bumper. Stupid mistake on my part to not really look before I made them, but all it cost me was a bit of scrap as well as some gas. I have a few large sheets of scrap stainless in the shop and I am going to do the wire truck and probably cut out some new ones this week. Just makes me wish I had a plasma cutter to cut my 3/16 stainless instead of cut off wheels. I plan on putting my 2x 130w KC daylighters on the front.

just get down there and see how you make it work. i used some 4x4 1/4" angle - had to trim it a little and offset the holes but worked great
hope these help good luck:thumbsup:
DCP_1691.jpg

DCP_1645-1.jpg

DCP_1643.jpg

DCP_1640.jpg

Alright, as promised here are the results of my bumper bracket fabrication and PIAA 520 mounting.

Brackets:

DSC_0002resize.jpg

1/4'' steel picked up at home depot for like $5. Cut, bent and drilled to match the wire bracket I made as a template.

Here's how it mounts inside the bumper (sorry for the ****ty pics, was dark out):

DSC_0013resize.jpg

Here it is coming out on top of the bumper with the light mounted to it:

DSC_0009resize.jpg

Used a small rubber bump stop underneath the bolt to have it rest against the bumper and minimize shaking and to protect the paint on the bumper.

All lit up :D

DSC_0005resize.jpg

Finally, a diagram. Measurements are not exact due to the bends being gradual and not 90 degrees. Made measuring hard. These are close estimates that should give you a good idea what you need. The yellow lines are going through the center of each hole drilled.

BracketDiagram.jpg

Now the question is, would you be willing to make these and sell them?
They look perfect, good job.

You wanna talk about buying & selling on this forum you must do it W/email or something other than the forum. Otherwise you need to be a "vendor" to sell on the forum.
PM Rick or take it to email....Thanks.

Alright.

I like the lights on the bumper look. For me to make the brackets was really hard. Seeing how I have almost no power or grip with my left hand...Mine looks like **** compared to all of yours. I just took sheet metal and cut strips and kept banging them with a hammer tell they fit right...

This is the fender bender I was in but you can see the lights...
11-21-07005.jpg

Heres a good picture...Very old...
Picture045-1.jpg

But then for Christmas I got a safari bar...And love it! Am I even talking about the right subject at hand? I took my sleep meds and mood stablizers so I am just rambling on...
AlaskaWLbetterrims.jpg

This is my truck now!

here are mine.
jqrnub.jpg

2q3au4k.jpg

i did mine like "wisekise" cause the other way was WAY to hard to get to work, but this way work great no speacial angle just a good ol 90 (degree)

well I actually bought my brackets pre made they sell at lowes for 2.34 a bracket + tax and all I had to do was cut about 1 1/2" of the top and bottom and they bolted right up. and look good. I have to take them off tomorrow to put some protection on them to keep from rusting and I will snap a pic of them but you can also see them under new lights.

Back