bumpstop question (pertaining to going low) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

bumpstop question (pertaining to going low)

wolfsport

Reaction score
City, State
College Station, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Sport XLT
I did the tortion flip, from the advise of the gusto thread. If I trim the bumpstops will the front end go down a little lower? I didn't get as much drop as what alot of people have by doing the flip. So I was just curious if perhaps the bumpstops are the reason. I'm sitting on the bumpstops now and it looks like alot of stress on them, this is why I came up with the theory.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

technically yes, but not alot. the bumpstops allow travel in your suspension, thus, you laying in them really stresses it all out. i'd suggest you put it back on jacks and cut a good inch off of them. mine are removed completely, but that's up to you.

alright, thanks for the reply. I'll be doing that when I get off of work in the morning. It didn't really hit me until I took it to get aligned. I have 2 inch blocks in the back and the front is an inch higher, 32 inches from top center of fender well to ground.

and you did the flip? are your bolt still in after the flip? cause to go as low as you can without bagging up front, take those bolts all the way out. with 2" blocks, your front should look lower than the rear. BUT, you also have the consider the fenders in teh rear are higher than the ones in front, it's one big screwing with your mind i tell ya, lol.

i have a writeup of mine from while ago on another site called *********(dot)com if you wanna check it out (it's under guides).

speaking of which, did you notch your torsion key if you've kept the bolts in? (look at the guide and you'll see what i'm saying)

the bolts are completely out. (and yeah, i flipped the adjuster) trimmed the bottom half of the bumpstops, didn't lower it anymore. I'll just deal with it, I probably notice it a little higher in the front because I stare and analyze too much..

you can always tell by your headlights and where they're aiming to see how the truck is leaning. but at first sight, people forget that the rear fenders are higher than the front, so it's all messed from the beginning...

but then again, this entire process can change from truck to truck, some can get as much 5-6" (like mine), or just 2-3", it depends.

Back