• Register Today It's free!

Burning Smell near engine area

SBK_

Reaction score
City, State
San Jose, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Base Explorer
When test driving my Explorer, a strong burning smell came out near the engine. The salesperson said it was normal because it's new and it will go away. Mine has over 2000 miles now, I can still smell it though it is not strong like it used to be.
Anything to worry about ?
Thank you.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When test driving my Explorer, a strong burning smell came out near the engine. The salesperson said it was normal because it's new and it will go away. Mine has over 2000 miles now, I can still smell it though it is not strong like it used to be.
Thank you.

What trim is your Explorer? It would be helpful if you could add that your profile.

AWD or FWD?

Under what conditions did you notice this smell? WOT? Idling? HVAC on or off? After cold start and/or hot start? What does it smell is being burnt?

I noticed a slight burning smell on my 2018 when it was new...lasted about 3-4 days (~200 miles) and then everything was fine. Smell seemed to be coming from the exhaust heating up and burning off stickers/grease/oil??

The smell shouldn't be too overwhelming.
I found the 3.5EB gets very hot compared other engines, in which most of the adhesive pads used for the tie wraps all came off.
Before I sold my EX Sport, I add new adhesive pads in various locations for the new owner.

Thank you.
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
I think that you may have something else going on. I've not noticed any smells from my new vehicles and I park them in my garage. Even if a vehicle did have a "new car" smell, it should be long gone by 2000 miles.

Peter

I’ve had a new engine smell ( when hot) on my cars but not at 2000 miles. Usually went away at 100 or so.

What trim is your Explorer? It would be helpful if you could add that your profile.

AWD or FWD?

Under what conditions did you notice this smell? WOT? Idling? HVAC on or off? After cold start and/or hot start? What does it smell is being burnt?

Sorry, just added the trim. It's a base model, FWD, with 2.3L EB engine.
I was going uphill for about 2 miles, it was rather steep and had to go slow due the road being twisty mountain road. I don't remember for sure about AC but it was most probably on. And we were 5 in the car. It smelt like half like hot metal and half as if paper was burning (am not very good with describing smell).

Sorry, just added the trim. It's a base model, FWD, with 2.3L EB engine.
I was going uphill for about 2 miles, it was rather steep and had to go slow due the road being twisty mountain road. I don't remember for sure about AC but it was most probably on. And we were 5 in the car. It smelt like half like hot metal and half as if paper was burning (am not very good with describing smell).

How often has this happened? And under the same conditions?

There was one time this happened to me, NOT in my Explorer but another brand vehicle few years ago. Everytime I drive for sometime, it used to smell like something was burning. After extensive trips to service and after lot of looking, they found that a Rat or something like a rat was stuck inside the engine bay and everytime the engine warms up, it was slow roasting the rat (we think it was a rat because it was burnt beyond recognition). I am Not saying this is your problem but something to investigate and eliminate because the strong smell you are describing should Not be that strong from any burning sticker and stuff, that only happens the first 100 or 200 miles. so check and eliminate any possible Rodent

How often has this happened? And under the same conditions?

It happened more often when the vehicle was new. I checked the last two/three days after normal driving conditions (city/freeway), there was none of that smell. I'll check again when i go up to mountain roads again and will let you know.

Back