• Register Today It's free!

Burnt fluid and metal shavings

skoal_mint

Reaction score
City, State
Geraldton ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 explorer sport 4.0
Well this isnt for a explorer, but a jeep.

I changed a tranny at work on a jeep, the owner bought a second hand one. well when i swaped it out at work and tried it out and ran fine, excpect for the dust shield grinding a bit, but i fixed that.

Well my boss gets a call the next day that he broke down 3am in the morning going home, the tranny kicked out. I took the transfer case out and that worked ok.

droped the pan and it smelt bad and then i saw shaving on the bottom. Where he bought it from, the guys said its not the tranny, but i installed it wrong????

Im just tring out if i really could intall it wrong, theirs only like 6 bolts that hold it to the engine and the linkage is correct....do u think its just their way of not steping uo to their warrenty?

Its my first tranny swap at work and i was happy to hear my boss gave **** to the guy saying i installed it wrong, but i still wonder, what could i have screwed up

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

skoalmint, i'll give you a bump till someone knowledgable reply's, good luck..;)

I have removed the irrelevant crap from the posts.

MadExplorer93 -- you will recieve a PM.

Well we never thought about the tranny cooler lines having crap in it from when the first tranny went.

Now the guy has to pay double labour

...now that is FUNNY....lol...:D

...i was hoping glacier would have caught this thread by now as he was online just before you posted..you might try and p.m. him as he would certainly be able to help...;)

Hmmm... what was he doing with it out at 3 AM?

Ok, lets digress. Burned fluid can come about is a short period of time if you are getting clutches burned all to hell. But "short" is a relative thing. A few hours or slight slippage ? naw.

If all you did was install a used tranny, there is no way to do it "wrong" to cause this based on the "way" you install it. But....

...Now IF the prior tranny had fragged, and you reused the torque convertor and did not flush the cooler lines, there could be metal debris in there that could have gotten into the valve body causing stuck spools, low pressure and slippage.

What were you asked to do, and did the old TC get used? What was the history of the old tranny?

Either way this is an awfully fast failure.

I was just told to swap out a tranny on a jeep with a new one wait on a crate, it had its own TC, we changed the filter becasue thats what warrenty wants if it is to be cover.

This guy is a vistor from the usa, he was headed home and never made it more then 2 hours down the road

I highly doubt you had ANYTHING at all to do with the subsequent failure. Period.

I have a thing I say about about "junkyard" trannies. They were where they belonged to start with.

OK, so my boss just phoned the people who sold us the tranny.

They want the tranny back to see if i installed it correctly? i dont know how their going to do that.

And they tried saying " well the tranny ran fine when they took it off the truck" well the person who took the tranny off was at our shop and he said "BULLS|T, I saw that truck and it was smached to pieces"

So the only thing that could be wrong is the touque converter, but i know that was all the way in becasue the flywheel bolts just cought the threats, i guess if it wasnt all the way in it would of hit the flywheel

And they tried saying " well the tranny ran fine when they took it off the truck" well the person who took the tranny off was at our shop and he said "BULLS|T, I saw that truck and it was smached to pieces"
Well there you have it -- that should be everything you need.

I didnt ask for the mileage yet...But I took the tranny out today and theis nothing wronge, the TC was all the way in.

Oh, i just remembered that the old jeeps tranny had bad seals inside so the tranny cooler must not of had any crap inside

Another thing about a "junkyard tranny" it has however many miles one chooses to tell you it has. Meaningless.

Back