Buy back tips | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Buy back tips

The issue was the panoramic sunroof.

@Mikey*TX Regarding your Buy Back; What problems cropped up with your ST Panoramic moonroof that FORD couldn't fix?
I'm asking because I don't recall seeing a thread on it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

@Mikey*TX Regarding your Buy Back; What problems cropped up with your ST Panoramic moonroof that FORD couldn't fix?
I'm asking because I don't recall seeing a thread on it.
There wasn't. I was told to not say anything until all was done.

So what was the issue?
Panoramic moonroof would not seal correctly. Evidently, if I understood the service dept correctly, Ford finally tossed in the towel after replacing the original and then the second one did the same thing. Headliners had to come out too. It wasn't a flood. Simply enough to saturate the liner. It would be damp to the touch. Kind of like washing the car with the moonroof slightly cracked open Over time and as the weather warms up, that would create mold and mildew. The dealer really went to bat for me. I have no complaints.

Panoramic moonroof would not seal correctly. Evidently, if I understood the service dept correctly, Ford finally tossed in the towel after replacing the original and then the second one did the same thing. Headliners had to come out too. It wasn't a flood. Simply enough to saturate the liner. It would be damp to the touch. Kind of like washing the car with the moonroof slightly cracked open Over time and as the weather warms up, that would create mold and mildew. The dealer really went to bat for me. I have no complaints.
I'd chuck that up to service department fail. Really.

I'd chuck that up to service department fail. Really.
I can't really say for sure. There was finger pointing on both sides. I simply sat back and waited. One of the forms was a release from liability and an agreement not to seek monetary compensation. All the forms were lawyer speak. Designed to make the reader not want to continue past the first paragraph. Lol I no longer have to deal with the issue. By the end of last week it was gone from the dealership. I

For all I know, Ford may have told the dealership to seal the day light out of it with silecon and sell it. My title was free and clear. So doing so would not have been an issue. It is now the next persons problem to deal with.

The way to get the word out is there should be a post on here entitled “Lemon Buy Backs” and anyone who has gone through a RAV Buy Back should post the vehicle’s complete VIN. The VIN will be found by anyone searching google, bing, or XYZ search engine in the future because the VIN will be looked up through internet meta data formatting.

If you have gone through a frustrating Buy Back, why let the next person experience the same frustrations you went through... do what’s right.

I for one would not do so. I do not want to risk any blowback from Ford for doing so. A buy back is similar to an out of court settlement that prohibits details from being discussed in public. I'm trying to remember if there was anything I signed that would specifically prohibit doing just that. Fords lawyers are pretty darn good at covering all the bases. In fact, all the manufactures are. Along with the insurance companies. One only need look at how many vehicles are sold with washed titles that have been flood or accident damaged. As I mentioned, mine was on the used car lot within 48 hrs of my giving back the first ST. As was mentioned in another post, the buy back vehicles are repaired and ultimately sold to the general public.

Over the years, on the Corvette forum board, there have been a number of threads regarding buybacks along with diminished value, etc. At no time has the litigant (for lack of a better word) posted the serial number of the car involved. Case in point. There is a thread running right now concerning a new C8 that was damaged in transit or at the dealership before being signed for by the buyer. Because the buyer (the thread starter) does not legally own the car, he has limited choices. He can go ahead and purchase the vehicle as is with the damage repaired or, refuse the vehicle. If he refuses, his deposit is refunded and he walks away. Or, he can tell the dealer to simply re-order the car. Considering that the allocations for the new mid engine C8 are sold out into the 2021 MY, if he chooses the second option, he will have a long wait. GM has already told those of us that have orders accepted for production yet not built we will receive 2021 titled cars. There are people behind me in the order process that are at event code 1100. Considering the plant shut down because of the virus, they are looking at the 2022 MY to get their car. I will have to bite the bullet on any price increase. My sales contract is specifically for the 2020 MY. I just had to e-doc the new 2021 sales contract. All the dealerships are closed except for online sales and service.

So I have been looking at an Aviator Reserve II AWD that is listed as used with under 3K miles.
Spoke to the dealer today and he disclosed that it is a buyback for a "water leak" (he didn't know exactly what the leak was).
It is a one owner car with an in-service date of 09/19; they have had the vehicle for a week or so, and have deducted approximately 9K from the original sticker. He is willing to negotiate and I am considering this vehicle.

I don't think this is a salvage title (but I'm not sure, or if that even matters) and he says the factory warranty applies. Says they got it from an auction, also says I can do ESP, Premium Maintenance etc.

Should I beware/pass on this? Or should I try to get him to come down (much) more?

Called my credit union and gave them the VIN to inquire about financing, no red flags; called my insurance agent and gave them the VIN for an insurance quote, no red flags there either.

Was about to buy a loaded ST, but this is much nicer for around the same money (or less) IMO.

I have a copy of the window sticker and AutoCheck score. Please advise before I take the plunge!

So I have been looking at an Aviator Reserve II AWD that is listed as used with under 3K miles.
Spoke to the dealer today and he disclosed that it is a buyback for a "water leak" (he didn't know exactly what the leak was).
It is a one owner car with an in-service date of 09/19; they have had the vehicle for a week or so, and have deducted approximately 9K from the original sticker. He is willing to negotiate and I am considering this vehicle.

I don't think this is a salvage title (but I'm not sure, or if that even matters) and he says the factory warranty applies. Says they got it from an auction, also says I can do ESP, Premium Maintenance etc.

Should I beware/pass on this? Or should I try to get him to come down (much) more?

Called my credit union and gave them the VIN to inquire about financing, no red flags; called my insurance agent and gave them the VIN for an insurance quote, no red flags there either.

Was about to buy a loaded ST, but this is much nicer for around the same money (or less) IMO.

I have a copy of the window sticker and AutoCheck score. Please advise before I take the plunge!
Factory reconditioned by familiarized techs working closely with engineers. This is what I was told. I wouldn't worry about it, but a ride through a car wash a few times might be a good idea.

Agree with the car wash drive through. If it has the panoramic moonroof, open the inner sun cover all the way. One of the leaks in mine was towards a rear corner. There was a bind (kink?) in the gasket. Odds are, the leak in the vehicle you are considering buying will at some point return. The unknown is when and do you feel like dealing with it when it happens. My thought is, if the issue was serious enough for Ford to buy it back, the fix is not simple.

@03Premier

I'll pass along to you one of the best pieces of free advice that someone gave to me;

"We all have a little voice inside of us that talks to us when we have a bad idea - I advise you listen to yours..."

Hope that helps -

There not been any reports here of water leaks on the Aviator but then they're only a few such owners here. No issues with mine so far. I would also think that it may be a leak involving the moonroof as Mike suggested. If you go ahead with the purchase, check out this thread; 2020 Extended Service Plans Pricing @ Dealer Cost

Peter

There not been any reports here of water leaks on the Aviator but then they're only a few such owners here. No issues with mine so far. I would also think that it may be a leak involving the moonroof as Mike suggested. If you go ahead with the purchase, check out this thread; 2020 Extended Service Plans Pricing @ Dealer Cost

Peter
Unfortunately even the Premium ESP doesn't cover water leaks. Ask me how I know :angryfire:.

Whimsey

That truly sucks. As with all extended coverage. It is simply an insurance policy. One that is sold by numerous companies. The state DMV's sell their registration lists. There is an opt out box that must be X'd on the TX title application. Because TX now requires the selling dealer to submit the forms (can you say Doc Fees), there is virtually no way to do so unless one wants to babysit the title clerk. The onslaught of spam mail from companies shilling extended coverage is a good indicator of where your new vehicle title is with the DMV. :D

:rolleyes: Worse are the companies spamming my mailbox telling me my factory coverage is about to expire. How thoughtful. I just sold or traded that vehicle. :snicker:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

:rolleyes: Worse are the companies spamming my mailbox telling me my factory coverage is about to expire. How thoughtful. I just sold or traded that vehicle. :snicker:
No such issues here. I've never received such emails. I have, however, received about a dozen offers (email and mail) to upgrade my 2017 Platinum to a 2019 and then a 2020 Platinum. The offer for the 2020 came after I had already leased my Aviator. These all came from Ford and I had to contact the GM of my dealership to put an end to it.

Peter

Back