Buying an AWD not a 4WD | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Buying an AWD not a 4WD

david1

Reaction score
City, State
Ohio
I have been told that the 2nd gens have a code in the vin that identifies the 4wd as a U7 and the awd as a U8 within the vin. . So apparently both types of drives are available in the 02-05. . Is one model much easier to find than the other ? . And are they usually advertised correctly ?

I went to look at an Explorer before I had any information and remember that it had 3 center dashboard buttons. . The top one (I believe) said Auto 4wd, the center button said High 4wd, and the bottom button said Low 4wd, to the best of my memory. . So can I safely assume that it was a 4wd model ? . Does the 2nd gen awd model use a computer to moniter each wheels traction ?

Thanx
David

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the forum!

AWD has no dash buttons for controlling the traction settings. It is all done automatically. The AWD transfer case was a Borg Warner 4404 and was coupled only, to my knowledge, with the 5.0L V8 engines for the second gens. The traction control is done via a viscous coupling which is always in use and activates mechanically when there is a difference between the front and rear driveshaft angular speeds.

This thread and the subforum it is in will help you: Link 1
Here is another thread where I showed how to physically check the transfer case. It is quick and easy to do. Link 2

Edit:
You referred to second generation explorers but then also referred to third generation explorer years and this is in the third generation subforum. The information I gave above was for second generation explorers from 1995-2001.

. . So can I safely assume that it was a 4wd model ? Yes. .
Does the 2nd gen awd model use a computer to moniter each wheels traction ? Not exactly. FWD: Wheel rotation speed at only ONE wheel does not reveal anything important...it must be COMPARED to the wheel speed of ANOTHER wheel. Comparing the relative speeds of the 2 REAR, or 2 FRONT wheels, gives useless info, as those speeds are different from one another whenever the vehicle tracks other than in a straight line. So, the REAR wheel speed is compared to the FRONT wheel speed, and if a significant difference is noted, like spin, or slip, the "electronic clutch" contained in the transfer case ENGAGES to mechanically connect the front and rear axles together. AWD: A "viscous coupling", much like a small torque converter, basically, provides power to BOTH front & rear axles at all times, the slight differences in speed existing due to tire diameter and turning corners being "eaten" by the coupling, and turned into HEAT within it. imp

Thanx
David

Getting up to speed

Thanx for the replies guys, I really appreciate it !

The info in that link to the Transmission and Tranfer Case Specs by year looks like "Greek" to me. I don't understand what I'm looking at.

Let me try to be a little clearer.
1] I screwed up when I said 2nd gen, I meant 3rd gen (02-05)

2] I'm looking for an Explorer that can give me something similar to what I've already experienced. My wife has a 03 Honda Element awd and my daughter has a 05 Pontiac Vibe awd (basically a Toyota). They both have fantastic traction and snow handling. I want to buy an awd Explorer that handles like that.

Years ago I had a 85 Chevy S10 4wd that had a small shift lever for the 4wd and locked the front and the back together. I wasn't thrilled with that setup and don't want something that has that type of arrangement.

3] I will be occasionally towing (good weather only) a small 6x10 single axle trailer that only has a total weight of about 1500 pounds which includes the weight of the 2 motocross bikes that are inside of it. But I will also be commuting daily back and forth to work (never with the trailer) and am concerned about getting decent gas milage for this everyday use. So all and all I think that I'm leaning toward the 4.0L V6.

Do I need to get the V8 to get awd in a 3rd gen Expolorer ?

David

...and am concerned about getting decent gas milage for this everyday use. So all and all I think that I'm leaning toward the 4.0L V6.

Do I need to get the V8 to get awd in a 3rd gen Expolorer ?

You do not need the V8 to be able to tow what you are suggesting. However, the gas mileage between the V8 and the V6 is negligible, and you will have more capability at your disposal with the V8.

...as well as resale value, and seemingly less transmission issues... Go V8.

I'll throw in my opinion...may not be welcome, but.....

After 4 Explorers I have to say the 4WD (with dash buttons) is much more desirable. You can control your traction to a degree and in poor conditions you need whatever you can get.

One thing to consider with AWD is that if you get a non-fixable flat and the tires have some wear, you will more than likely need to replace all 4 tires. We had this happen with our subaru in which the tires had half their life left, but due to a flat that destroyed one tire, all four had to be replaced.

Wouldn't the 4WD get better gas milage when in 2WD vs. the AWD explorer when driving in normal conditions? I have mixed emotions since I have one AWD and one 4WD, both seem to have their advantages. However, both are awesome in the snow!

due to a flat that destroyed one tire, all four had to be replaced.

I'm curious what reasoning is used to decide this. Why not replace the two tires which are on that axle and leave the other two alone? Unless there is a significant tread depth difference. Even then I would think the transfer case could handle that.

You would think so, but many people have had them grenade from just that scenario...

interesting!

I've change tire three times on my awd and no one has ever said I needed to do all 4 at the same time. and never had an issue with the transfer case or transmission.

May be a difference between the 2nd and 3rd gen transfer cases?

Like said, the AWD V8 and 4X4 V6 get similar MPG's and if you want easy no touch operation to get you max traction then the AWD is your better pick, it runs at a 60/40 split and if more traction is desired in the front the transfer case automatically on its own will give the front more traction than the rear and alot of folks do great having an awd vehicle. The advantage of the 4wd is to be able to have 2wd most of the time and is desired by people that like to hit the trails for the 4low gear reduction.

I'm curious what reasoning is used to decide this. Why not replace the two tires which are on that axle and leave the other two alone? Unless there is a significant tread depth difference. Even then I would think the transfer case could handle that.

The single new tire would have had a the larger diameter, greater than subaru specifies, than the other tires causing trouble for the transfer case. I would rather repace the 4 new tires than replace the transfer case and everything else related than experiment with it! Explorers may be different, don't have an AWD Explorer so not sure what Ford recommends in this situation.

Ford says in the Owners manual to replace 'all' 4 tires, if i remember right.

Supposedly with a 1/2" or greater difference the AWD and its viscous clutch will constantly be in a slipping state which will generate heat and that causes premature failure of the clutch plates, so 'they say'. They are designed to slip when needed but as it heats up they lock together. . .

One way to get around it is to do a 5-tire rotation and if one tire blows out say at half life you can switch to a 4-tire rotation and never use the spare unless its an emergency.
In that case treat it like a 'donut spare' never over 50mph and/or greater than 50miles.

The AWD viscous clutch is a "flexible" device in that it can tolerate a bit of continuous mis-match between front/rear driveshaft speeds. This mismatch shows up as heat within the clutch.

Under least vigorous conditions, such as low speeds mostly, cold outdoor temps., light acceleration, and no towing service, given the tire mismatch as being small, say only 25% tread depth difference, that clutch may last quite a long time-- maybe even until ALL the tires are worn out.

The doomsday concerns come from those who must cover warranties, and their own *****, in making recommendations. In any event, replacement of the fluid or viscous clutch itself might cost about as much as 4 very good tires, so..........................imp

Thanks for the opinions guys. jrford the five tire rotation is a clever idea. imp I understand completely about CYA. Funny part is like you said, a junkyard transfer case runs exactly as much as four new tires. If only the viscous coupling itself were cheaper. New online I've only seen it for $350.

Thanks for the opinions guys. jrford the five tire rotation is a clever idea.........

My '04 came with the tire-pressure sensors; the spare, of course, was a plain old steel rimmed without a sensor. I bought an '04 factory mag. rim from the boneyard, installed a new sensor and new tire identical to my other 4 nearly-new ones, which had about 7,000 mi. on them, then proceeded to begin using the 5-tire rotation, putting the brand-new on left-rear. Rarely, maybe once a week, the tire sensor icon on dash flashes on/off for about 10 seconds, then quits.

I guess it's working. Such a DEAL! imp

Thanx to everybody

You guys gave me some good advice and an interesting conversationabout tire wear. . In the end, I think I'll get a 3rd gen V8 awd or maybe even a 4th gen, if I can afford it.

David

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

and if you can find one with the tow package you will be a head of the game too

Back