Buying an AWD not a 4WD | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Buying an AWD not a 4WD

You guys gave me some good advice and an interesting conversationabout tire wear. . In the end, I think I'll get a 3rd gen V8 awd or maybe even a 4th gen, if I can afford it.

David

Honestly, You are probably going to have an easier time and get a better deal on just a 4x4 explorer. For 3rd gens 4x4 had an Auto4x4, 4hi, and 4low and when I have to explain the auto 4x4 system to people who dont know much about cars I tell them it basically acts like AWD. You can get away without have to use the buttons because when the car senses it you wont have to use it. I dont think I really explained myself well but Im tired/sick right now so if you need better clarification Ill try later lol.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

YOU CAN"T GO WRONG WITH AWD!!!!
I have a 00 Mercury Mountaineer AWD V-8 All Stock, its awsome in the snow I was plowing throw 3' drifts one night going to town I love it I really would like to give it a 2'' susp. lift but can't find the lift yet if anyone has a idea how to lift it the cheapest and saftest way Please let me know. If anyone is looking parts I have a 98 explorer AWD V-8 fullly loaded that I'm going to be parting out very soon. I have no garage. Waiting for some nice weather.

YOU CAN"T GO WRONG WITH AWD!!!!
I have a 00 Mercury Mountaineer AWD V-8 All Stock, its awsome in the snow I was plowing throw 3' drifts one night going to town I love it I really would like to give it a 2'' susp. lift but can't find the lift yet if anyone has a idea how to lift it the cheapest and saftest way Please let me know. If anyone is looking parts I have a 98 explorer AWD V-8 fullly loaded that I'm going to be parting out very soon. I have no garage. Waiting for some nice weather.

Search the forum for TT and Shackle and you'll see. And you have to be an Elite member to sell items here, only $20.00 a year click the link in my sig for support the site.

What year mountaineer and explorer came with Metal Skids or where do I get them.

I have an AWD V6, has plenty of power for daily use, if your going to be towing go with the V8 tho. With my V6 I average 17 in town 20 highway. The AWD is nice, if you dont want to deal with selecting 4x4 options.

Side note, shortly after I bought the Mounti I developed an un-fixable flat tire, learned about the issue with tire size differences ruining drive train components, so I measured the circumference of my tires averaged that number out went to the tire shop and measured the circumference of their used tires (allowing for tire inflation), found one very close. 30 dollars later I had almost a perfect match mounted and balanced. Ran that tire for 10 thousand miles before I bought new tires all the way around.

The 2nd gen V8 AWD setup is pretty sweet, having owed a 2nd gen SOHC 4X4. I would never trade my V8 for anything, but I would prefer to have control w/ 4X4 as opposed to AWD. Why wouldn't you want control of the drivetrain??? Also, I think you will find the Ex to be alot more capable than the Vibe or Element. Either way you go (aside from 2WD of course), you'll be very pleased w/ it's inclement weather handling.
I'd find a V8 3rd gen w/ 4X4. Now those are very dependable rigs!

Sounds like it's time to Mounty Up!!

Look for a Mountaineer rather then an AWD Explorer. Finding an AWD V8 Mountaineer is WAY easier.

Do yourself a favor, don't sacrifice and get a V6, you'll be sorry.

I don't regret getting the V-8 Mounty, However I am a motorhead and there is nothing like the roar of a 302 V-8 with just a E303 Cam is pushing over 300 HP. and still getting 15 MPG. in town, granted the heads and intake are the GT-40P but still flow good. I'm not saying that the V-6 is bad they are good for what they are, My cousin has a explorer with V-6 and runs great but lacks a little power for towing, I just like the power I'm even looking into putting a turbo or supercharger on mine. The other thing I like about the AWD is when you step on the gas it don't just sit and spin the tires, you get traction and your gone.

Back