Buzzing sound when trying to reprogram key fob. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Buzzing sound when trying to reprogram key fob.

Running an Explorer

Reaction score
City, State
Laurel Bloomery, Tennessee
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Ford Explorer Eddie
I am trying to program a key fob to my explorer, but when I jump the connector with the paper clip it will only lock then start buzzing or rapidly clicking until I remove the paper clip then it will stop buzzing and unlock again. It worked like it was supposed to the first time I tried it but my fob didn't work so I replaced the batteries and now this is happening. Any thoughts on what this could be? I have already read these threads. I may be missing a thread on here that you guys know about. Any info will be greatly appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

With the age of these trucks, anything is possible. I have two of them with keyless entry. The fobs distance that they would work become smaller and smaller until eventually they just don't do anything anymore. I'm relegated to just using the key to unlock the door.

If I had to guess it's probably the receiver module going bad, just bad. If you discover anything, surely post it here. There isn't much info on them.

With the age of these trucks, anything is possible. I have two of them with keyless entry. The fobs distance that they would work become smaller and smaller until eventually they just don't do anything anymore. I'm relegated to just using the key to unlock the door.

If I had to guess it's probably the receiver module going bad, just bad. If you discover anything, surely post it here. There isn't much info on them.
Thank you, I have limited options when it comes to junkyards and this is kind of towards the end on my importance list of things to fix. I will post if anything comes about. Thank you for the reply!

So, this thread inspired me. I have two 94s with the electronic package. I have 5 remotes, 3 Ford and 2 new aftermarket. None of them have worked. Last time I messed with this, the 3 Ford remotes would pair with the trucks, but not hold it or work more than a few feet from the truck. The 2 new ones were purchased a couple years back, but I never did anything with them.

I decided I would try these again and see what happened. The new fobs batteries were junk at less then 0.2 volts each. I checked the Ford fobs and had 3 sets of good batteries. Long story short I ended up with one bad Ford fob, and 2 new unresponsive fobs. Now I have 1 fob per vehicle that works as they should. Both new ones are junk or the wrong frequency. They are unmarked, so I have no idea what band width they are.

I haven't had these systems working for several years now. Im hoping it will hold and continue to work for a while. I may try to match some new ones to my working fobs and try them too. The numbers on the case on my working fobs are presented in the attached pic. Check these to yours. Maybe you have a mismatched fob?

IMG_20210928_201305246.jpg

So, this thread inspired me. I have two 94s with the electronic package. I have 5 remotes, 3 Ford and 2 new aftermarket. None of them have worked. Last time I messed with this, the 3 Ford remotes would pair with the trucks, but not hold it or work more than a few feet from the truck. The 2 new ones were purchased a couple years back, but I never did anything with them.

I decided I would try these again and see what happened. The new fobs batteries were junk at less then 0.2 volts each. I checked the Ford fobs and had 3 sets of good batteries. Long story short I ended up with one bad Ford fob, and 2 new unresponsive fobs. Now I have 1 fob per vehicle that works as they should. Both new ones are junk or the wrong frequency. They are unmarked, so I have no idea what band width they are.

I haven't had these systems working for several years now. Im hoping it will hold and continue to work for a while. I may try to match some new ones to my working fobs and try them too. The numbers on the case on my working fobs are presented in the attached pic. Check these to yours. Maybe you have a mismatched fob?

View attachment 342919
I may in fact have the wrong fob, but the issue starts before the fob goes into play, when I jump the wires the locks won't fully cycle. It will just lock then start buzzing while I have the paper clip connected, then they will unlock after I remove the paper clip and the buzzing will stop.
I think I read somewhere that you can have up to 4 fobs programed, I wonder if the receiver, for some reason, thinks there is more than 4 fobs programmed and will not allow any more, being that I jumped the cables at least 3 times or more (working correctly), before it started buzzing.
Do you think you could jump the connector on yours at least 4 times and see if it still works right on the 5th for you? If you don't want to chance it, I totally understand.

I definitely did that tonight in testing, possibly more. I just couldn't have more than two assigned to a vehicle at a time as I only have two that respond. I'm nearly positive that when you jumper the connector and turn on the key, it forgets the fobs assigned to it. Any that you set at that time are remembered by the module.

I forgot you mentioned that buzzing. There definitely is something weird going on.

I definitely did that tonight in testing, possibly more. I just couldn't have more than two assigned to a vehicle at a time as I only have two that respond. I'm nearly positive that when you jumper the connector and turn on the key, it forgets the fobs assigned to it. Any that you set at that time are remembered by the module.

I forgot you mentioned that buzzing. There definitely is something weird going on.
Ok, thank you so much, I will update if I find a resolution.

You may try disconnecting the vehicle's battery and see if it might reset the module.

You may try disconnecting the vehicle's battery and see if it might reset the module.
Good news, I left the battery unhooked for about 20 min and hooked it back up and jumped the paper clip and the locks cycled like they were supposed to and everything works now. The fob works good.

Awesome! Hopefully the module just got confused. I'm hoping mine retain their paired status. Last time I messed with these, it wouldn't remember the fobs after a couple days. So we'll see what happens.

Back