• Register Today It's free!

Cab swap 2nd gen to 1st gen frame

Micah J

Reaction score
City, State
AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Expo
Does anyone know if there is a post on swapping a second gen body, possibly motor too, onto a first gen ttb frame?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Are you going to use an OHC, or SOHC 4.0? The SOHC will fit, as will a 5R55E transmission, but all of the associated wiring will need to be transferred. I believe the body will bolt to the first Gen frame. Here is one of the threads on it.

Is your current cab shot? You can swap most of the parts of the front clip for the “updated“ look.

Most of the issue is with the location for very front body mounts. They are in a different location. Also the front frame horns are different and will need to be modified to accept the 2nd gen bumper. @Kris Guilbeaux will have more info. His JPX 1st gen body was swapped onto a 2nd gen frame.

it should be pretty straight forward, from the A pillar back they are the same body/same truck
As mentioned above only the frame forward of the firewall is different and you will have to deal with the front two body mounts, pretty dang simple when considering the size of this job, swapping a full suv body to a different frame.
This is a great way to get a TTB suspension under a Gen II body....however it might be easier just to swap the front clip??????????????????????
I prefer the 91-97 tailgate over the 98-01 "bubble but" the lighter 98+ tailgates just fall apart way easier

it should be pretty straight forward, from the A pillar back they are the same body/same truck
As mentioned above only the frame forward of the firewall is different and you will have to deal with the front two body mounts, pretty dang simple when considering the size of this job, swapping a full suv body to a different frame.
This is a great way to get a TTB suspension under a Gen II body....however it might be easier just to swap the front clip??????????????????????
I prefer the 91-97 tailgate over the 98-01 "bubble but" the lighter 98+ tailgates just fall apart way easier

That is the goal, ttb under a 2gen. I have a great condition 01 V8 that is just itching for beams. Other option is a conversion crossmember if i can convince my CAD guy... Anyone be interested in a Dana 44 TTB conversion crossmember for the 1995-2001 explorers?

You could just swap the V8 into the first gen. I'll probably swap in a V8 after I kill the SOHC I just swapped in.

You could just swap the V8 into the first gen. I'll probably swap in a V8 after I kill the SOHC I just swapped in.

Yes this is the other option. Some guys prefer the newer interior and newer body style. I have a 94 and an 01 and find myself driving the 01 much more just because of the interior. I definitely have better luck finding 2gen parts too.

might be able to sell some of those crossmembers
If it was done right the 98-11 Ranger could use it to convert to beams also

So far people who have come before us have either:
grafted frame rails
or
swapped bodies
The one guy I talked too that did graft in a ttb crossmember and built some brackets to hang the TTB pivots eventually ripped it all out and just grafted frame rails instead.
I think it may be easier to just put the gen II body on the Gen I frame in this case, heck you only need the front clip.............up until end of production in 97 the rear 3/4 of the explorer is same as 91-94

Yes this is the other option. Some guys prefer the newer interior and newer body style. I have a 94 and an 01 and find myself driving the 01 much more just because of the interior. I definitely have better luck finding 2gen parts too.

Swap the interior too then. Only big pain is the HVAC, but it's doable.

I did this years ago 2nd Gen sport on 1st Gen sport frame, beside front core support mounts which I believe just needed modded wider. It was very easy.
Many benefits:
TTB if you want that
1st gen frames easier to SAS
newer interior nicer
ECU mounting location is nice especially if doing 4dr V8 swap into a sport, makes it easy to mirror a factory setup.

Back