calling underhood experts | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

calling underhood experts

pulley is much much smaller... if i space it out further and keep the belt tension the same that will be ok right?

or how easy is it to get a different length belt?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well, i've answered all the questions about the alt. I have a design for the bracket in mind, various length belts priced and found, and an alternator in the mail.

I've sort of drifted from this project, focusing on my air bag system and bodywork recently.

My main question right now is- what to do with the vacuum lines? i have removed the charcoal canister and that other thing with the green and the white thigns down by the horn that connects with them too.

What do i do with them?

at this point i have the new alternator in- happy with that.

will be doing the headers in the next few weeks.

I also picked up a new iac that i was sorely in need of

right now though i haven't done anything with rerouting all these hoses and lines-

the two coolant lines that run through the firewall are simply pulled off the firewall and ziptied with a baggy over them (what do i do with these since they no longer go to anything?)

where do all the vacuum lines go now? also where do they all start from? i want to make sure i get all of the necessary ones etc.

I'm going to seriously need some in-depth help with what is required for these issues.

thanks in advance

-drew

figured i'd update (as if anyone was reading this anyways)- everything is sorted out and she runs great.

Glad you got everything sorted out, could you post some pics of what the engine compartment looks like now?

410 I am a bit confused with the a/c delete.

On my 'stang i bought the kit from ford racing and rather than having a new pulley that bolted in place of the compresor. It relocated my power steering pump up in place of the A/C compressor. Nothing went below and I had to switch to the stock belt used in a non a/c 5.0.

Would not this kit work just as well, or is there a difference between the old 5.0 and the GT-40 5.0?

No I am not trying to contraindict you, I am just curious.

we have totally different accessories- unless i'm mistaken.

Hmmm. Looking at 410's engine bay, and then looking at mine I think that they are identical in layout. I know that everything is interchangeable for the most part so I was just curious why the A/C delete was so sifferent. I suppose I did not look at the different part options either. Basically I went to the parts store so I could replace my a/c compressor it cost too much so I bought the FRPP delete kit they had in stock, and installed it after ripping out all the a/c stuff.

OK my musings are done, and I will quit disrupting your thread drew.

Okay for clarification the Explorer gt-40 5.0L uses a different timing cover, waterpump, and front dress brackets from any other 5.0L AS FAR AS I KNOW.
This is because I have searched for a high volume waterpump and found the Explorer pump to be completely unique, but the good news is the factory pump is high volume already, so I just got a OEM replacement for my 96 Explorer project.

I do not believe the AC delete that has the power steering pump re-location will work on this front dress (expl gt-40) but it MIGHT, I am just not sure.

dreamr which AC delete did you use, the power steering re-locate one or was it the Explorer one; a pulley that goes in place of the AC compressor?

so how bad will it be to switch?

i'm considering fabbing my own sc bracketry etc.... and wouldn't mind if the end result also fit a stang

410Fortune said:
Okay for clarification ...........

.......dreamr which AC delete did you use, the power steering re-locate one or was it the Explorer one; a pulley that goes in place of the AC compressor?

I used the kit that relocates the P/S to where the compressor was...
http://www.mustangsunlimited.com/itemdy00.asp?T1=M8511A50+01

I did not know that the two engines had a different "front end". I just knew that a whole lot of the parts swapped directly over including p/s and alternator with some re-wiring. I assumed a/c would be the same, but if the front cover is different so would all the brackets be.... Thanks for clarifying for me 410.

Anyway I linked the klit above and they have a small pic on the website to show the bracketry as well as the installed delete... It may work though...... Hang on I'll be back......

Look at the picture.....ok are you back. The silver bracket mounts to the head. The holes it mounts to are on pretty much any ford small block head for decades now. At least that is what the machine shop said when they had to get the sleeve thingy out of there for me when I broke it. That part of the kit may work for you. The black bracket supports the front of the p./s pump and has two nuts that mount to the water pump mounting studs... Here you may need to add a hole in the bracket in the right place but it may work.

May be worth a try and I found the kit locally for 30 bucks......

All in all I apologize for the hijack, I just had a interest in the differences between the two engines for my own dreams and current projects..

Wo I dunno thats the old style PS pump pictured and the 5.0L Ex brackets have the AC and PS pump mouted to a single aluminum plate, I dont see this bracket working for us.

My mustang too was one solid plate mounting both the A/c and the PS. it just become two piece for some reason when deleted. All in all I think the second bracket is required as the mustang ps pump is rather skinny compared to the a/c compressor so there needs to be a bit of a spacer there .:confused:

You are right though I don't think it would work all that easily, and expo has a whole lot more going on in this project than just moving the a/c to the garbage bin.

Back