Camber Adjusters?

99ex22

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Wilsonville, Oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 5.0L 4x4 Eddie Bauer
Alright I tried doing some searching but couldnt come up with anything but stuff for lowered explorers. Im taking my truck in to a allignment shop in the morning to get camber adjusters installed for 148.00-pretty fair price. As of right now my tires are like this ^ They said they will put the biggest adjusters they have on it but they said it still might not completly straighten them out. My brand new tires are wearing out in the insides very quickly and need to get it fixed. What im asking is for the specifics on which camber adjusters I need. It's 1999 XLT 3" body lift, TT & shackles with 33x12.5's thanks in advance for any advice.

-Russ

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Got my truck back....They said they didnt want to put the camber adjusters on because they were affraid it would push the wheels back in too far and make the outside wear out instead of the inside, so they allighnd it as best they could and told me to come back in 3000 miles to see if there is anymore wear and if there is they will slap them on. Looking at it head on it looks alot better than it did this morning so we will see...

Your camber should not be adjustable -- the stock "cams" are not really cams, they are square-ish and therefore can only go in one way (hence no adjustment).

I believe what you need is this:
http://www.napaonline.com/NOLPPSE/(S(hz2kkiye5bqyez55etlkhg45))/Detail.aspx?R=NCP2643699_0199669304
628276.jpg

I think thats the part # I put on when I still had the IFS front. Anyway, you slap that on, then bring it to your local service station for an alignment.

And I install those on the control arms right?...the front suspension is pretty much the only part of the truck I havnt worked on yet so I am not very familiar with things like this.....Is there a good how to somewhere on this site? I couldnt find any but for a lowerd explorer.

Working on one corner at a time, get one tire up in the air securely and remove the tire. Remove the small shroud covering the A-arm bolts for accessibility. Then remove the old camber plates and bolts the upper A-arms to the chassis and replace with the aftermarket adjustable units.

Adjusting the camber is done by getting that one tire up in the air and rotating the head of the bolt with a wrench. You can get pretty close to perfect camber by just eyeballing it on flat ground (let the vehicle move back and forth a few feet to let the suspension / sidewall settle after making any camber changes).

The most difficult part is getting to the bolt and removing it because of all the other stuff tha gets in the way (brake lines, and whatever else is under there).

they were afraid the ADJUSTABLEs would screw camber up in the opposite way it's already bad? what?

find yourself a new alignment shop.

edit: wait... you said it looks better, even though they didn't put adjustable camber bolts on? Weird... because camber is NOT adjustable with the OEM bolts.

they were afraid the ADJUSTABLEs would screw camber up in the opposite way it's already bad? what?

find yourself a new alignment shop.

edit: wait... you said it looks better, even though they didn't put adjustable camber bolts on? Weird... because camber is NOT adjustable with the OEM bolts.
They did a caster/camber allignment on it which I never had done after I re-did the TT So I think that was most of my problem right there. The tires are pretty much dead on now:)

This is what I need here right?....This is what I orderd from my local napa store and should be here by 3:00. Will this cover both sides? it seems like I would need 4 bolts and 8 cams?? is that not true?
237346.jpg

Yeah that looks like the right one and yes you will need 4 bolts and 8 cams.

ok i got them installed....I can't for the life of me get the camber set correctly:mad:

You can do it by eye -- get the front suspension up in the air with a pair of jackstands, change a little bit, take it for a quick spin (to get rid of the bind in the tire's sidewall), check, and change little by little. But really you should take it in to a shop for alignment, just tell em you have those camber cam bolt doodads.

Yeah Ill probably just take her into my alignment shop tomarrow and have them deal with it.

Alright just got her back from the allignment shop and all is good! Thanks for your help guys.

Back