• Register Today It's free!

Camber/Caster Kit is not enough

Kershaw

Reaction score
City, State
Beltsville
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer EB 5.0 AWD
First post here, but I've been utilizing the knowledge base here for a bit. My gf bought Big Red off a friend of mine as an inclement weather vehicle last year and we've been having fun in it! It is a 1998 Ford Explorer V8 5.0 AWD with a 2" suspension lift and a 3" body lift. Recently we put on new tires on it, 33x12.5x15 Goodyear Wranglers, and to keep the tires in good shape I wanted to correct the caster issues the 5" lift introduced.

I bought a dual cam adjustable bolt kit for the control arms and installed it. Right Front with the 2 piece adjustable control arm is great now, couldn't really ask for better. The issue is the Left Front. Without the cam bolts it was -0.31 degrees, with the spec being 4.20 degrees. It is currently 1.26 degrees with the adjustable dual cam bolts. That's better, not quite 2 degrees, but it is better. But how do I now make up 3 whole degrees? It pulls hard to the left, harder than it did before with the old tires and worse alignment - the caster difference is now greater. So what are my options here? Can I adjust the currently maxed forward RF 2 piece adjustable control arm backwards so both read low, but match? What will my issues be if caster is set to 1.26 degrees on both sides? Ideally both would read 4.20, but we wanted to take Big Red up to NH (from MD) this Thursday. I've been rushing replacing parts, new endlinks, RF cv axle, RF wheel bearing, RF control arm bushings, and the eccentrics. To fail now would be pretty disappointing.

Ie1xrqRh.jpg

Any help is appreciated!

Back