Camper information for Aerostar dreamers. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Camper information for Aerostar dreamers.

Icuff4cash

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Las vegas
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 aerostar awd
http://countryhomescampers.com/our-camper/ford-aerostar
I've been on a quest to build a better westfilia using a Aerostar. Since I'm new to the fourm I don't know how to start a separate listing. I've owned a few Vw bus campers rwd and while fun they broke down. The Aerostar is about the same size give or take an inch here or there. There's underground areas like above were campers realize a Vw camper rwd trashed starts at 10 grand a awd unit starts at 25 grand as a rust bucket. I fact in today's world Vw only made awd westfilias for 5 years for USA market. To get one today you need to buy a oversea junker bring it here and swap it to your rwd bus. Go westy one of the best in Colorado says it would cost 75 grand for a redone van. You can get good Aerostar for $1,500. And with out a pop top for 5 grand you can get a hell of a fishing camper rig for enjoyment.
I believe there's a segment of owners like myself who would like to do this but won't because of the negative back lash the fourms give Aerostar owners.
1. First thing out of members is front diff is a hand granade. There must be a way to get a stronger front end. I have followed members on other fourms who do sas to theirs. Then it's the axles. I can't believe it's the weak link just the axles. As an old racer from the seventies I ran v8 Vegas and there's companies that will make any axle you need. Companies like louker power trax and others make slip in units to make your Dana 28 a possi. If these companies make products to support this then give it a chance. I don't want this as a rant I just want to bring information to others there's another world in Aerostars out there.

Go westy on u tube for campers

https://youtu.be/ASC9dZkfxbQ

This u tube link is from go westy there the #1 rated camper van people in USA. Even though they are Vw bus aka westfilias a lot of parts for the camper fit Aerostars. I had some campers and with so Yankee ingenious ideas you can trick out your van. My first item is the rear tire carrier for the spare tire. What I like about them they post videos on there products they sell.
The rear tire carrier is a neat idea not only can you Cary a tire but it's a multi tasked with ad on's. Bike rack extra fuel water first aid ladder bike rack and tray for cooler or cooking grill.
We have a fake show bumper out of fiberglass like the Vw. Our bumper is a square tube welded between the frame rails. A little bit of tinkering and there bumper kit would work. If you guys don't want to see camper conversation videos like this please let me know I'll stop posting links. This link is for a poptop camper but the swing away bumper conversation is worth watching. Like I said just say stop and I won't post stuff like this
Robert

As far as i am concerned any shared information is great.

not to mention I secretly think to myself, as ugly as she was, Big Sal was the best vehicle we ever owned. :D

My wife and I often speak of converting one to a 4wd camping-light expedition type rig.

I'm in. Thank you for sharing.

Thank you

That was my intention when I joined then I received hate mail telling me the front diff will explode the axles will eject ect.. I belong to 3 Aerostar fourms since becoming disabled I'm a internet junkie for information to keep the brain cells working. I wasn't going to mohab but a nice Aerostar camper would be nice. There's a member that has a factory conversation with pop top. I'm going to try to create this on my pension check since I'm limited for reckless spending. Besides the camper top any member who tinkers should look at the Vw swing away tire carrier. It holds up to a 32 tire and so many extras. Plus it's a ladder so you can get on the roof. The swing away conversation starts at $250. Expensive but if you had access to a mug machine this can be done for $25.00 I'm at the point I might go to harbor fright with a coupon and pick up a 110 min unit for $75.00 I was a welder for a few years before coming a cop. I haven't welded in 30 years but you never forget. A monkey can mig weld I've see this all ready. Thank you for enjoying the information and if you want something pm me I'll send it and if you got anything on van camper send it I enjoy reading.
Robert las vegas

Back