Camping water heater | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Camping water heater

Not much experience with below freezing camping.
I have taken care if the pipes and the fresh water tank. Placed heating pads on the grey and black tanks and have a jug of antifreeze to pour into them if needed.
What do I do with the camping water heater........ do I drain it and just heat water on the gas stove or is the heater OK to turn on and heat once a day for a shower, or will it freeze up when not in use.

Where is the heater located in the camper? Is it a newer style tankless on demand heater or is it a 5-7 gallon traditional style water heater?

Do you have the campers owners manual?

I can tell you if it freezes the water inside will blow the copper lines and it will leak
So logic tells us if the heater is going to freeze ever then you must drain it after each use or winterize it with glycol

In below-freezing conditions, it's safest to drain the camping water heater completely to prevent freezing and potential damage. Even if you heat it once a day, residual water left in the system can still freeze when not in use, risking damage. Heating water on the gas stove for showers is a safer alternative in these conditions to avoid any issues with the water heater freezing up.

Back