• Register Today It's free!

Camshaft Position Sensor Testing

lovs2fly

Reaction score
City, State
PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 XLT
I have another thread open on my no start 94 explorer V6 auto but I figure I will open this up to everyone.

Does anyone have the step by step procedure to test the Camshaft position sensor. My book is very confusing especially when discussing which leads to test.

Thanks.

I'm doing a test on my 97 5.0 tonight and I'll do a write-up of later on. Now, if you just are testing the sensor, the test is pretty simple and straight forward (things like KOEO measures). However, if you need to verify TDC and cam drive alignment - then that can be much more involved, such as depressurizing the fuel system (to keep the engine from starting when it cranks so you can take that measure) that should be used in examining fluctuating rates when Cyl. #1 comes past the sensor. I really can't speak accurately for a 94 4.0, but I do have a Haynes for the 97 5.0 and I'll follow that to the letter.

Here's how I checked the cam position sensor on my 97 5.0 Mounty, which may very well be different than your needs...

I disconnected the sensor, moved the ignition to KOEO, used a voltmeter and got 10.5 volts between the sensor connector and the ground - so this check out OK, but maybe a little week.

I then depressurized the fuel system, set the voltmeter on DC, reconnected the sensor, backprobed the connection, and checked the voltage pulses when the engine was cranked but not started. The DC reading bounced to about 5 volts each time #1 passed - so this checked out OK.

Typically, there are the two tests you do to see if the CMP sensor is working properly.

I hope this helps... If not, I'd highly suggest getting the Haynes manual to see the details that they may have.

Back