Camshaft syncroniser to crankshaft (harmonic balancer rotation) Please Help | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Camshaft syncroniser to crankshaft (harmonic balancer rotation) Please Help

Reaction score
City, State
Grass Valley, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Mazda B4000
Can anyone tell me how many times the camshaft syncroniser rotates for every revolution of crankshaft harmonic balancer? If I'm not mistaken is it 2 times? This would be on a 4.0 V6 OHV (NON-SOHC) I feel stupid. I rebuilt this 97 ranger engine and the timing chain was set at 6 and 12 respectively. But when I put the harmonic balancer on I didn't rotate it. So when I'm at TDC I'm 180 out but there is a mark on the harmonic balancer that is 180 out like someone had done this before.

So when I stab the camshaft syncroniser in should I just put it at 180 out so I don't have to rip the timing cover back off or have to pull the harmonic balancer? Any help would be greatly appreciated and much obliged,. I've been fighting this thing for awhile and just wanna get it finished. Thank you in advance for any help. :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When you get a new cam sync unit it typically comes with a plastic alignment tool. It forces the cam sync to be in the correct position at TDC. If you don't have one of them you can also purchase them - I think I have a few of the OTC branded alignment tools.

When you get a new cam sync unit it typically comes with a plastic alignment tool. It forces the cam sync to be in the correct position at TDC. If you don't have one of them you can also purchase them - I think I have a few of the OTC branded alignment tools.
I do have one and when I get to TDC on the compression stroke and go past and line it up on the 0 mark I put the tool on and put it in and it idles fine but it is gutless and has no power and can barely move

The cam sync is really an optimization and not a necessity. It signals the computer when to start firing the injector sequence, but the vehicle will run well without it because there is also a CKP (crank position sensor) that is significantly more important. If the vehicle is gutless and won't move, I would check for something else that is disconnected.

The cam sync is really an optimization and not a necessity. It signals the computer when to start firing the injector sequence, but the vehicle will run well without it because there is also a CKP (crank position sensor) that is significantly more important. If the vehicle is gutless and won't move, I would check for something else that is disconnected.
Got it, one of the computers I had was either too old or bad. She's running like a beast. Thank you very much everyone.

Back