Can I mix Mobile 1 ATF in with my current stock tranny fluid? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Can I mix Mobile 1 ATF in with my current stock tranny fluid?

sickwilly

Reaction score
City, State
Middle Tennessee
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Exp Sport Trac
I just purchased a 2005 Sport Trac (1st post here). I love it! Its now got 30K so its time to do some maintenance. Among other things, I plan to replace a percentage of the tranny fluid this weekend using my Moeller fluid vac, sucking it right out of the tranny dipstick tube.

My question is this, can I start the process of replacing the stock mercon V with some Mobile 1 ATF, or should I stick with a mercon V fluid?

I will be removing a percentage of the fluid at a time, adding in new fluid, driving the car, and then repeating. Doing it this way, I might eventually get up to a 90% fluid exchange, but wont get 100% of the old fluid out.

I would like to have the best protection possible, as it was the death of my last explorer's second transmission that finally pushed me over the edge with it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

does the mobil ATF bottle say its compatible with Mercon V?

2003 still has a dipstick tube? Thank god! many models do not... they call the trans filter and fluid "lifetime" = WAJ

Yes it does, it says:

Also suitable for use in vehicles that specify the following fluid requirements:

* Ford* MERCON*, MERCON V, MERCON LV

Its what is recommended in the sticky above: Transmission Common Sense If You Have A Problem.... Maybe its overkill and a good mercon V is good enough?

Actually my 2005 still has a dipstick, but there is a radiator hose right above it, so its hard to see and you have to pull the hose to the side to get the dipstick in and out.

the Mobil ATF can be added to your existing fluid, yes

I think Mobil One ATF = overkill, but I drain my trans every year, so cheap-o Mercon V is good enough for me! If it meets Mercon V requirements, it is adequate, anything more can be throwing $$$ away, BUT if you are only going to change trans fluid once every 100K miles then overkill may be a good thing and Mobil 1 is always a good thing, just not always worth the $$$$

Back