Can I put an EcoBoost in my 2011 | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

An X plan pin number allows you to buy a new ford product at a price just a little over invoice.Also they can't charge you dealer prep either. If you go to a dealer with a pin number the first thing you do is tell them you have a pin number and then you pick one out of inventory or order one. You also get all rebates that are in affect on the day you take delivery. I have to give you the number.

Is that for buying a whole new vehicle of just an engine?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have you checked with that shop to see if they can order the same engine from Ford?
Is that for buying a whole new vehicle of just an engine?
That would be for a new Explorer.

Peter

I have a 2011 Explorer XLT AWD with about 135k miles on it. We made a trip, tried I should clarify, and got about 900 miles from home and the water pump went out causing "catastrophic engine failure." Apparently when the water pump went out it flooded the engine with water/coolant? The car never over heated. We pulled over the second we felt the issue. It was towed to a Meineke (big mistake) and they started it and drove it into their shop where they let it run until the car "locked up." It was then towed to a different mechanic shop where the guy opened the oil cap and said the motor was blown and then got irritated that we didn't want to drop a could thousand on a motor right then. We brought it home and my brother messed with it and got it turning again, obviously it's not fixed and running, he was getting conflicting info from the shops that looked at it when he called and he didn't feel like the motor was legitimately "locked up." We don't know if the battery was dead and that is why it wouldn't start again after it was driven into the first shop. When we were unloading it we had to hook it up to some jumper cables to turn the ignition on and get the car into neutral. At this point we think that the water pump needs to be replaced and the timing chain. He suggested going ahead and putting a new motor in it so we don't have more problems down the road.

So, why I'm here...

My car has the 3.5L Cyclone V6 with no oil cooler (8th digit is an 8). That motor is in the 2011-2018 models. According to our local Ford Dealer (who wants $7400 to replace the motor) the only years that will fit mine are the 2011-2012. He said that they made some change that he doesn't know what is, he can only see that the part number is different and that means they changed something in 2013. Does anyone know what changes were made? Are they minor adjustments to the 2013 and up engines that I could still buy one of those and make some minor adjustments and use the new year model engine?

My other question... it was suggested to see if I could put one of the EcoBoost engines in my car to replace the bad motor that is in it currently. Does anyone know if that is possible? Can I switch it out with an EcoBoost motor with some reasonable modifications?

Sorry for the lengthy post. I just wanted to get all the info in here to get the best information in return. Thank-Shellie.

I really struggle with Ford having zero responsibility in this situation. If Shellie inspected her cooling system per the required intervals in the maintenance manual and changed the coolant at 100,000 miles, then why would she be responsible for the internal water pump failing with no warning that resulted in collateral damage of a seized engine. I have never owned a car or truck where an engine seized, let alone without warning. IMO Ford is responsible for the engine if Shellie performed the requirements of the maintenance manual, I don't see it any other way, it's simple logic associated with a flawed design.

If it had only been the water pump failing and no seized engine, that is much more understandable even with the exorbitant labor cost of $1,300 to $1,500 to replace a $40 part.

We lost our 115k mile 2011 Explorer at the end of February, due to a water pump failure.

Ended up with a new Edge. Got a total trade of $2k for the 2011.

We lost our 115k mile 2011 Explorer at the end of February, due to a water pump failure.

Ended up with a new Edge. Got a total trade of $2k for the 2011.

I would love to just ditch this car but, unfortunately, that isn't an option for us. Unless something else comes up, the plan is to buy a used engine and swap out the water pump prior to installing the new one and get back on the road.

Does anyone know if the water pump issue has been fixed in later models? Or even in later parts? Hopefully when we do the motor swap, with a new water pump, we won't deal with this again in the future.

I would love to just ditch this car but, unfortunately, that isn't an option for us. Unless something else comes up, the plan is to buy a used engine and swap out the water pump prior to installing the new one and get back on the road.

Does anyone know if the water pump issue has been fixed in later models? Or even in later parts? Hopefully when we do the motor swap, with a new water pump, we won't deal with this again in the future.

In looking at parts online, I can tell there have been several revisions to the pump and gaskets over the years. That’s typical with any part in a car used for a while, and could mean anything from cost-cutting measures to fixes for identified weakness to efficiency improvements.

The pump still remains internal to the engine, so the failure mode will always be at least a slight risk. It’s a risk inherent in the design, which saves space (a major concern with transverse mounted engines in FWD cars) and *may* reduce a tad of parasitic drag, at the expense of this particular concern. Short of avoiding any engine with an internal pump, the only way to mitigate the risk would be to religiously watch the pump, coolant, and oil for signs of leakage AND to preemptively replace the pump as an engine enters high mileage. Thankfully, there haven’t been a ton of complaints about early failures (below 75-100k) so if you put a new pump in your rebuild, chances are you’ll be fine.

Hopefully with the change to the 'longitudinal' engine in the 2020, the water pump will no longer be inside the engine and this will no longer be an issue.

Peter

If I were to consider trading this off could I expect to get offered more than $2k like the poster above?

I would think that a lot depends on what you will be purchasing. Profit margins for a dealer are usually more on a higher priced and optioned vehicle than lesser ones. It also may depend on what the dealer plans to do with yours. Scrap it or fix it. A 2013 FWD Limited with 89,939 miles miles is being advertised for $16,900 at McKinsey Ford. There were no older models I could find.

Peter

Hopefully with the change to the 'longitudinal' engine in the 2020, the water pump will no longer be inside the engine and this will no longer be an issue.

Peter

I’d consider it a deal breaker if the waterpump is internal in the 2020. I think a good sign to see is to look at the engines on the F150 and the future aviator to ensure the pump is outside.

Again, the only reason the 3.5 is transverse is because the water pump would not fit externally. The f150 is longitudinal because it is rwd. The 3.5 is the only internal water pump they bnb ha e om fwd.

The Aviator will not have the 3.5 in it, it will not have an internal and there is no reason the Explorer should have it either with the engine going rwd.

The only question is if Ford keeps the 3.5 in the Explorer ST. Even so, it would be the f150 version now which means 2nd gen as well.

Again, the only reason the 3.5 is transverse is because the water pump would not fit externally. The f150 is longitudinal because it is rwd. The 3.5 is the only internal water pump they bnb ha e om fwd.

The Aviator will not have the 3.5 in it, it will not have an internal and there is no reason the Explorer should have it either with the engine going rwd.

The only question is if Ford keeps the 3.5 in the Explorer ST. Even so, it would be the f150 version now which means 2nd gen as well.
I thought the Explorer ST has the 3.0 TT?

Whats up guys my name is Jose and i have a little concern. I have a Ford Explorer 2011 XLT, I want to make more hp out of it, and I am thinking to replace the engine for a 3.5L turbocharged of the same gen but Ford Explorer sport.. is it worth it? Or is it posible ?

F039F63B-245A-453A-BB81-1F9808163FF2.jpeg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum Jose. :wave:
Your thread was merged with this existing one. I haven't read all the posts but your answer may be here.
It would be expensive, Have you considered getting a 'tune'?

Peter

Back