Can I safely tow a 3500 LBS RV Trailer? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Can I safely tow a 3500 LBS RV Trailer?

Ray_2009

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2009 Explorer XLT
Hi all, Newbie here!

I have a 2009 4.0 with a class 2 factory hitch. Specs say it'll tow 3500 lbs. In Texas , electric brakes are mandatory over 3k lbs, so that's cool, as I'll have trailer brakes (will have to get a brake controller).

That I know of, the truck had no tow package (seems reasonable or it'd have a larger factory hitch).

Can my truck pull a trailer of that weight safely and without burning up? I'd be careful up long hills, etc., and don't plan to visit death valley in August...LOL.

So anyone towing a 3500 lbs travel trailer?

Thanks for any info/advice!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just FYI:
06-10 Explorers/Mountaineers came in 4 trims when it comes to towing:

1:
4.0 v6, 1 1/4" hitch receiver, no tranny cooler, 3500 lbs max, 3.55 rear end

2:
4.6 v8 1 1/4" hitch receiver, no tranny cooler, 3500 lbs max, 3.55 rear end

4.0 v6, 2" hitch receiver, with tranny cooler, 5200 lbs max, 3.73 rear end

4:
4.6 v8 2" hitch receiver, with tranny cooler, 7100 lbs max, 3.55 rear end

I have 2 of them, #1 and # 4
Surprisingly, I have the factory tranny cooler in the v6 with small receiver which is weird but good for me :)

To your question:
When my v8 was being worked on, I towed a 3100 lbs trailer with my v6 and it did fine.
Just note that 3500 lbs trailer means just you in the car. You add your wife, kids and luggage in the car and they total 500 lbs, your trailer needs to be below 3000 then, and so on.
I replaced the small hitch with the a 2" one, there is a post somewhere with pictures what I did.
So overall you should be ok, the tranny in v6 is not the greatest, take it easy on it.

The topic of 5R55S installed in 4.0 was discussed to death on this forum. Most of the cases we see is that they go south around 120k miles even without towing anything, usually the reverse go out, or there is a flare in shifting going forward. The weak points are reverse band and servo sleeves. Mine went bad at 117k miles.
The 6R transmissions installed behind the v8's are different animals, they are also used in F150's and Expeditions so they are designed for heavier loads. That's why everyone recommends v8 when shopping for an explorer.
My v8 is at 248k miles on original tranny with lots of towing over the past 9 years. That tells you something.

Well it depends a lot on distance and road as well. Heat its the killer and many factors generate heat. Keeping the tranny fluid cool is key. Short distance may be ok. But short varies to everyone.

It get or install a flat plate transmission cooler in series on the return side of the line to the transmission. I'd also replace that receiver with a Class III if you're doing any serious long distance towing especially on non flat roads. There is a lot of stress transfered to it and IMO no business being on the truck.

Thanks for the replies. It pretty much confirmed what I thought - it's not a good idea. I plan to look into that tranny issue. Is it of any help to install a tranny cooler now, or is that 120k fail pretty much a given (I'll check this board)?

We got it as a CPO 4 years ago for 17k out the door, and it only had 39k miles on it. Up until last week, it's been a great vehicle, but just went through the thermostat housing fail/replace at 80k on the clock. In my younger days, I'd of swapped it out myself, but not these days - LOL.

Again, thanks!!

A tranny cooler is a very wise upgrade on any vehicle which does not have one especially. Some installed by oem's are too small for the real world. A cool tranny is a happy tranny. Mounting the flat plate cooler is the toughest part of the job. Just make sure you have it on the return path to the transmission, not ahead of the rad.

NOTE: There has to be space behind the cooler and never use (if a kit) the zip ties that feed through the core of a condenser. As for line determination. The inlet is the first to warm up when you start the engine and return is still cool (locate them both before starting where you can reach to feel both)

Just FYI:

1:

2:

4:

I have 2 of them, #1 and # 4
Surprisingly, I have the factory tranny cooler in the v6 with small receiver which is weird but good for me :)

Ive got the factory tranny cooler with the V8 and small receiver

Its mind boggling why the Class II receiver was put on the Explorer. They're puny and don't look good. Cost difference is so small when buying them as well. It has a tow, stress limit far less than a Class III would have. I prefer a receiver that exceeds the vehicles capability which makes it quite robust.

You have to watch your tongue weight and tow weight since anything added to the trailed load is added to its dry weight. Exceeding either in longer drives with irregular roads, hilly and lots of turns is highly NOT recommended. A some point the receiver may and will eventually come free, and not it a nice way. Shorter drives with well behaved driving habits will transfer less stress to it.

Hence it depends!! On a lot of factors but if you numbers are right I expect you'll be exceeding the spec's for your load.

That's weird. I that's the case, then all you need is the heavier receiver to jump out of the 3500 limit since all v8 had 3.55. Of course, it would not be align with the car GCVW on the paperwork somewhere.

Yes, its so insulting & disappointing when i see less-capable SUVs such as Honda Pilot, Toyota Highlander, Ford Escape that came with Class-3 hitches...WTH was Ford thinking??

I want to upgrade to a class 3 hitch but the bolt-on ones go under the factory hitch hang quite low and just look ugly. The Explorer SUV doesnt look so bad because their factory Class-2 hitch was straight, the Sport Trac hitch curves down.

You don't have signature !!! So I cannot see what year it is now. I don't like scrolling back to the first post. I add one in all forums as you see for my posts.

The factory hitch needs to be removed. Our Limited came with a class III. Contact a reputable hitch shop that specializing in installing them. CURT would make them and you can check their website.

Curt Draw-Tite Reese are bolt-ons and go UNDER the factory hitch. Like i said it doesnt look so bad on the SUV, but on the Sport Trac it hangs way low, if you cut it off (factory welded) it leaves a 4" void there.

No need for signature, look on the left pane and you can see what cars we have

attachment.php

used-2007-ford-explorer_sport_trac-4wd4drv8xlt-11856-15049393-3-640.jpg

I don't normally look at the left pane. But ok you got something their. Welded you say. Never heard of that before. I'll ask my buddy about that. He owned a hitch shop for 30+ years and done it all. He just shut it down last year.

02-05 were bolted, 06-10 welded

Hmm Ok, my buddy replied to me. Class II vehicles don't come with the HD towing package and he says the gussets can crack. His words are "True and it's part of the bumper plus the gussets crack at the weld over time."

Not a great setup if its a Class II and you are pushing the max rating it was built for of 3500lbs. Attaching to it with a Class III adds nothing other than the 2" compatibility.

Well, I've given up the idea. Really wished I'd of kept looking when I got this one (wanted the V8), but such is life.

Really appreciate all the input from everyone ,though!

Just FYI:

1:

2:

4:

Bumping this old topic.....

I am in the market for a travel trailer. I have # 3. (2010 w/ currently with 80k miles)

I am down to two trailers(I think) I have really become to like. Lance 1685 (21' length) and Lance 1985 (23' length).

Dry weight of the 1685: 4365
Dry weight of the 1985: 4662
That's with Propane and Freshwater tanks full.

Would either of these be an issue? I really prefer the 1985 floor plan but if I must, I can live with the 1685.

Most trips will be with just me and the girlfriend.
I defiantly plan on getting top of the line break controller and a nice weight distribution hitch.

Any feedback, suggestions would be helpful. Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

With the V6 I would lean more towards the lighter as it gives you a lot more flexibility before you get close to the GCWR.

Back