Can my explorer safely pull a camper like this | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Can my explorer safely pull a camper like this

I have a 2015 Ford Explorer Limited V6 with the following aftermarket hitch (https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitch/Ford/Explorer/2015/C13386.html?VehicleID=201565715). My SUV has about 110K miles on it and I definitely don't want to shorten the lifespan - but we are looking for a camper (travel trailer style) and the one we are looking at has the following specs (image attached).

It is creeping very close to max towing capacity - but have read that the 2015 with V6 can easily tow 5000# - but that could have been marketing saying those things :) I would rather hear from you fine folks who know what you are talking about :)

Attachments

• CamperSpecs.png
    CamperSpecs.png
    124.3 KB · Views: 845

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The Explorer with an aftermarket hitch is rated to tow 2000 lbs. There are several posts on this. Only with the factory installed tow package is it rated for 5000 lbs. The tow package includes more than just the hitch. It has a different transmission, larger rad, engine oil cooler as well as an air defector that channels air through an opening in the front facia toward the PTU/transmission area for extra cooling. It also has the tow/haul option to basically prevent the transmission from going into overdrive. Check out the links in the following thread.
There are several more that you can find using the Forum's 'Search' feature.

Peter

I have a 2015 Ford Explorer Limited V6 with the following aftermarket hitch (https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitch/Ford/Explorer/2015/C13386.html?VehicleID=201565715). My SUV has about 110K miles on it and I definitely don't want to shorten the lifespan - but we are looking for a camper (travel trailer style) and the one we are looking at has the following specs (image attached).

It is creeping very close to max towing capacity - but have read that the 2015 with V6 can easily tow 5000# - but that could have been marketing saying those things :) I would rather hear from you fine folks who know what you are talking about :)
I wouldn't tow something heavy with the standard V6. I haven't read any good experiences about it. The Sport/Platinum would probably pull that ok although it's a little long for stability's sake for an Explorer (you'd want to stay 20ft long or less). That V6 will rev really high while you're towing plus will struggle mightily on hills. Either way be prepared for horrible mileage.

lol. sorry I didn't try harder. Been googling for a bit - then remembered I had been on this site before. I should have searched, but assumed Google indexed the site well enough for that search to work.

Regardless, my apologies and thank you for the information :)

lol. sorry I didn't try harder. Been googling for a bit - then remembered I had been on this site before. I should have searched, but assumed Google indexed the site well enough for that search to work.

Regardless, my apologies and thank you for the information :)
It's really hard to find good info on towing. There are so many variables and often towing capacity is the last one you exceed, and matters the least. As you mentioned salespeople are NEVER to be trusted on this stuff.

The 5000 lbs capacity is posted in the towing guide and requires a weight distribution hitch but only if the vehicle has the factory installed package. Otherwise, it's 2000 lbs. The vehicle may well be able to tow more than that but for legal purposes, those are the figures. If involved in an accident when exceeding those designated weights, you're leaving yourself open from a liability standpoint.

Peter

I called my Ford Dealership (service, not sales) to find out a bit more also. After 3 transfers which took me from service dept (general) to body shop to guy who deals with all hitches. I explained to him that I heard that my aftermarket CURT was not sufficient to pull the rated 5000# that the 2015 Explorer is rated for. He proceeded to tell me that what I heard is not true and that it will pull 5000# :(

I'm guessing because they sell after-market hitches themselves? It is a big dealership and I told him that I would buy the Ford-approved hitch. He insisted it was not necessary.

Very frustrating, but more because my wife wants a camper "now" lol and I am stuck trying to figure all this out while she keeps scheduling visits to look at campers!

Will it tow it? Yes it will. Will you have to perhaps watch your maintenance schedule closer, yes you will.

If I was set on getting that camper the first thing that I would do if I was going to tow it with a Explorer is to get a transmission oil cooler installed. A lot of it will also depend on where you are going to be towing it to and what kinds of roads you will be on.

I see hundreds of trailers being towed by vehicles that should not be towing them. Huge 5th wheel trailers being pulled by pickups that are way out of their class, even tag trailers being towed by trucks that should never of had them hooked up to the trailer. But it is done every day.

You also need to know that the weight that they list for the trailer is the dry weight. Now add a couple of propane bottles, how ever much water it will hold, bedding, food, drinks, and the rest of the junk that will be placed into it and you can add another 1000-2000 lbs quite easily.

Join RV.net and see what they say over there. That forum will quite possibly have others that are towing with a Explorer just like yours and give you first hand experience.

I called my Ford Dealership (service, not sales) to find out a bit more also. After 3 transfers which took me from service dept (general) to body shop to guy who deals with all hitches. I explained to him that I heard that my aftermarket CURT was not sufficient to pull the rated 5000# that the 2015 Explorer is rated for. He proceeded to tell me that what I heard is not true and that it will pull 5000# :(

I'm guessing because they sell after-market hitches themselves? It is a big dealership and I told him that I would buy the Ford-approved hitch. He insisted it was not necessary.

Very frustrating, but more because my wife wants a camper "now" lol and I am stuck trying to figure all this out while she keeps scheduling visits to look at campers!

If you have the non eco 3.5, it wont like it. You will be in 4th or 5th gear having to keep the RPMs high to pull. And as Peter said, yours is rated at 2,000 pounds regardless of what hitch you put on.

I will join up on RV.net. My Explorer is the V6 3.5L. The V4 is rated to 2000# according to Ford documentation and the V6 is rated much higher - so I'm not sure where the 2000# no matter what hitch is put on means? I'm probably missing something - sorry :( Been a bit of a frustrating process with the dealership not apparently understanding.

The big difference from what I understand between the factory tow package and one that didn't have it is the transmission along with the extra transmission cooling ducts.

The only thing listed on the Ford documentation (in addition to hitch and some controls) is an Oil Cooler. At least that is what I found last night after looking for a very long time.

The transmission is the big item, and I have never seen it listed on the differences.

Also for that much weight behind a Explorer you really need a trailer axle that has brakes on it. You would then need to wire in a brake controller, I am not aware of any existing wiring in the Explorer that didn't have the tow package for this.

I will join up on RV.net. My Explorer is the V6 3.5L. The V4 is rated to 2000# according to Ford documentation and the V6 is rated much higher - so I'm not sure where the 2000# no matter what hitch is put on means? I'm probably missing something - sorry :( Been a bit of a frustrating process with the dealership not apparently understanding.
Don't go with what the dealership says. Go with what Ford says. There are several things that the factory tow package has that you don't get with an aftermarket installed hitch. Here is the Ford document for the 2015. https://pictures.dealer.com/zenderfordtctc/d67f99cf0a0d02b700a22e0c4b2dfa58.pdf
So the answer to your question "can my explorer safely pull a camper like this" would be NO.

Peter

It would do it, but it should be a last resort.......like if you had a truck to pull it but it was broken down. This set up would be pretty unstable IMO, lots of sway and poor braking. I would imagine the power would be fine, with 290hp your close to the power in 1/2 ton trucks from a few years back. I towed a 30ft camper with a f150 5.4L (260hp) and power was decent. I would only tow this if it was a one time thing and I was in a bad spot. It might be worth looking for a cheaper truck/cargo van to tow the camper.

It would do it, but it should be a last resort.......like if you had a truck to pull it but it was broken down. This set up would be pretty unstable IMO, lots of sway and poor braking. I would imagine the power would be fine, with 290hp your close to the power in 1/2 ton trucks from a few years back. I towed a 30ft camper with a f150 5.4L (260hp) and power was decent. I would only tow this if it was a one time thing and I was in a bad spot. It might be worth looking for a cheaper truck/cargo van to tow the camper.
I think you're mistaken about the efficiency of that engine for towing - the Triton V8 may have had fewer horsepower but it's torque number is closer to the ecoboost V6 at 330lb ft or more. That's what will make the difference in towing. For example the Chevy Colorado diesel has only 181HP but 369lb ft of torque.

Back