Can not fill the fuel tank | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Can not fill the fuel tank

I got the purge valve replaced and now the tank will accept fuel...and my wife is happy... :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Congrats!....and thanks for posting your solution. I don't know why some people come on here seeking answers but never post the solution. It's like it is "all about them" and there is no benefit to them personally by sharing their info. You are to be commended.

That is what this site is all about..sharing information..if not we all would be spending way to much extra money trying to figure out the issues with our rides..

Thanks to another site like this for my old car..I was able to drive that beast for 12 years...

I have a 2005 Ford Explorer, started having trouble getting gas in it but it was inconsistant and I thought it was just the different gas stations. About a month ago it started shutting off every 10 seconds while I was trying to fill it up and/or gas would start to come back out while it was occurring. I took it to the dealership and they said there are two known problems, mine was the filler neck and it would have to be replaced. Since it has not been flagged a safety issue they would not repair for free but offered to only charge me 1/2 price. Anyone having this problem needs to contact National Highway Traffic Safety Administration and file a complaint. Once they receive enought complaints their engineers will research the trend and make Ford recall the vehicles or reimburse those who have had to make the repairs.
www.nhtsa.gov or 888-327-4236.

I was having the same problem in my 02 explorer. No error codes but I could barely put gas in it. The problem turned out to be that the upper filler neck rusted out and the rust was plugging up the screen in the lower filler tube. I cleaned it out and replaced the upper neck and presto- good as new.

How much did this purge valve cost you? How much was the labor for them to put it in.. Ad like stated above, thanks for posting your findings! It will help me out in the future and I am sure it will help others as well...

Thankyou

Here is the test procedure you will need to do in order to isolate the problem. Most of the times there is a screen in the lower part of the neck that needs to be cleaned.

Disconnect evaporative canister located in rear of vehicle above spare tire.

If you can now fill fuel tank, fault will be in canister vent valve or plugged canister.

If fault is still present, disconnect all evaporative lines from fuel tank one at a time, if you can fill tank with any of them disconnected, fault will be in that line.

If the tank still cannot be filled, fault will be in the tank or filler neck

happy happy!

I eventually tracked down the problem in the fill neck. The fill neck had rusted, which apparently is a problem with this explorer, and the rust clogged a screen in the neck. I replaced the fill neck and problem solved. Thanks for the reply.;)

Here is the test procedure you will need to do in order to isolate the problem. Most of the times there is a screen in the lower part of the neck that needs to be cleaned.

Disconnect evaporative canister located in rear of vehicle above spare tire.

If you can now fill fuel tank, fault will be in canister vent valve or plugged canister.

If fault is still present, disconnect all evaporative lines from fuel tank one at a time, if you can fill tank with any of them disconnected, fault will be in that line.

If the tank still cannot be filled, fault will be in the tank or filler neck

Disregard.

If your filler neck is rusted it is easy to tell. Go under the truck where the filler neck is with a flashlight. Once you can see the filler neck, reach up and grap it and twist it and pull on it. In most cases it will grek if twisted with enough force. You can also remove the clamp and pull the hose off. the rust is easy to see. the lower end of the neck will probably be missing. I assume if you are still reading you are mechanicaly inclined. I was able to shorten my filler neck and then extend the rubber hose farther up on the neck using a metal nipple and a smaller diameter piece of filler neck hose. cost me about $10

I got the purge valve replaced and now the tank will accept fuel...and my wife is happy... :)

Hi sakirfp
I know this is an old post but I'm hoping you can still help me. I have the same problem on my 2006 v8 Limited explorer. Cannot fill up with gas as it keeps cutting off.
You mentioned you replaced the purge valve. Is that on the evap canister or in the Engine compartment?

I have had the garage check all that and they said it was all fine. The replaced the air line next to the filler neck but that has not fixed the issue either. Very frustrating!

thanks
Gregor

After a shop replaced my vent valve at the tank without any improvement I picked up a new filler pipe assembly (for some reason he was not able to source) and had him install it. End of problems! This was on my 02 just last week.

It was on the Evap Canister

I was having the same problem in my 02 explorer. No error codes but I could barely put gas in it. The problem turned out to be that the upper filler neck rusted out and the rust was plugging up the screen in the lower filler tube. I cleaned it out and replaced the upper neck and presto- good as new.
How hard is it to take off the upper filler neck? My 2002 Explorer is having issues & I need to probably check this after searching in the forum.

Back