Can someone explain Advance Trac for 2003? What does it do exactly? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Can someone explain Advance Trac for 2003? What does it do exactly?

canuckjgc

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ex V6
Ok, I've read totally conflicting reports on what Advance Trac does and does not do in a 2003 Exporer.

Some reviews say it is a stability control system (which means it must be engaged all the time, right?).

Other reviews say it is a side-to-side traction system (basically if there is one wheel with traction you can still move forward).

Stability control is not side-to-side traction -- it is a yaw sensor system that helps straighten out a vehicle that is sliding out of control.

Any ideas here? Is it both?

The reason I'm asking is that my wife is keen to have stability control in our next SUV.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

To my knowledge, Explorers did and do not come with active suspension / stability control. But if body roll is what you're afraid of, I would look at a station wagon - less body roll, lower CG, and many are available with AWD, not to mention perhaps better MPG figures.
Posted via Mobile Device

avd track uses wheel speed sensors to detect when wheels are sliding and HOW the vehicle is sliding, it then administers selective breaking to individual tires as well as cuts power to the engine. in the gen 4 explorers the sytem is MUCH more refined and is able to prevent roll overs. i have to say though, the 3rd gen's AWIS makes them handle quite well... and if a little body roll makes you paranoid you can do a ground force drop and eibach sway bars and apparently the truck then drives like its on rails... ive taken some pretty fast turns in mine.. i once had to dodge an accident that i can only guess was 40-50 feet infront of me, and i was doing 45 mph. i was able to safely execute a compleate lane change with out loss of traction.. and i DONT have avd-track.. good tires and smooth wheel opperation are key when driving any vehicle that doesnt have a "low" center of gravity.

Thanks that is very helpful. Just to clarify I'm not worried about body roll, but more like why not get stability control if it's available.

i wish i had known it was an option on my 03, i dont know if i would have bought this one if i had known.

Back