Can someone straighten an axle question out for me? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Can someone straighten an axle question out for me?

AlaskanJack

Elite Cabin-Fever Captain
Reaction score
City, State
Centralia, Washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 , 93 & 01 Sports
Someone recently told me that a Dana 35 off a Jeep the gears would be interchangeable with the Dana 35 TTB. I need to get a confirmation on this or a BS.

I just dont know if the D35 on Jeeps is the front axle or what, but I know that the TTB has reverse rotation gears.

Info asap would be helpful.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't think they're interchangable, but could be wrong.

The D35 is the rear axle of a jeep. I have no idea if parts are interchangable, but it does seem they would be.

If its the rear axle then the gears wouldn't be reverse cut or am I not seeing something.

But then lets say if the carriers are the same then a locker for a jeep d35 should work in a D35 TTB.

The reason I am asking is that someone has a d35 with Locker and 4.56's that he is giving away for free cause no one wants and he has to get it out of garage b4 wife kills him.

Yeah it's not reverse cut, but i have no idea is the carrier is the same.

Oh okay then, well wouldn't a dana 35 carrier be the same no matter what it is in? Hmm well actually I'm not sure. If the locker would work that would be worth it. I mean hey its free and if it fits score.

Well i tried to help you out and looked it up on Powertrax.com but it says that the front axle of a 91-94 is a model 28?? What is that all about?

I just noticed that they list a different locker for the D35 front axle on the Grand Chero and a rear axle on a XJ.

Hmmmm well I better find out

Man, get the stuff even if it fits and sell it on a jeep forum, then split the money with me for helping :D

Ok here is the skinny: The locker will work but the gears won't. TTB35 gears are reverse cut and can only be used in the TTB35. The locker will work but you will have to eliminate the c-clip if it is from a non c-clip d35. I hope that helps you.

Ah ok then. Thanks that helps

Damn Hvac Man beat me to the answer!

Back