Can stock fog light wiring hadle HIDs? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Can stock fog light wiring hadle HIDs?

Today I modded my bumper and fascia to house Hella 500s. They'll be mounted up front and i'm going to do an HID conversion. Would stock wire handle 55w or should I go with 35w? 55w should be fine but I want to make sure.

Thanks! :thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You would need to determine how much the new lights are going to draw. If they are going to draw more than the old lights than you will run into problems.

I don't have any experience with HID auto lighting, so hopefully someone with more knowledge than me will chine in.

Good luck. :biggthump

I have the 35w as.my low beams and fogs and personally I like them a lot. its all on stock wiring. And its actually a plug and play kit for 33 bucks off eBay! I went with 35w so cops didn't bother as much but from what I hear there's not to much of a difference..

I have projector headlights and projector foglights with 55w kits for each... and i must saw when i turn them all on at once the truck definitely knows, the rpms will drop and then pick back up... (but i also have a 4k watt stereo system and an e-fan) i also run 2 batteries and a capacitor..

You would need to determine how much the new lights are going to draw. If they are going to draw more than the old lights than you will run into problems.

I don't have any experience with HID auto lighting, so hopefully someone with more knowledge than me will chine in.

Good luck. :biggthump

I looked up the watts on the stock bulb and I found that they were 45w. Is this correct if anyone knows? I could check the manual...

The 9145 bulb that is in the foglights does put out 45w. If I were to install a 55w HID kit in these Hellas, would it fry the wiring?

Two 45 watt bulbs draw 7.5 amps. Two 55 watt bulbs draw 9.17 amps. That's a difference of 1.67 amps. I can't say for sure if the oem wiring or the housings can or can't handle this. :dunno:

Two 45 watt bulbs draw 7.5 amps. Two 55 watt bulbs draw 9.17 amps. That's a difference of 1.67 amps. I can't say for sure if the oem wiring or the housings can or can't handle this. :dunno:

Well the housings are going to be Hella 500s. But I decided to go w/ 35w just to be on the safe side. Appreciate the help though! Pictures will be posted once done.

Always better to err on the side of caution. Standing by for the pics..................:popcorn:

you could always get bigger wire to use.

This job is FINALLY done! Pictures coming tomorrow and the outcome is awesome.

Standing by for the pics. :thumbsup:

35W 3000k HID converted Hella 500s in place of stock fog lights. BRIGHT! :cool:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3080912#post3080912 <Here is the thread w/ pictures for my new grille insert that you see in the pics.

dsc02664da.jpg

dsc02665j.jpg

dsc02666sl.jpg

Back