Can the Crank move at all while a tensioner(LH Side) is out? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Can the Crank move at all while a tensioner(LH Side) is out?

spobely

Reaction score
City, State
Alberta
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 SOHC XLT
Hey,

So I pulled out my LH timing tensioner with great difficulty because I thought I could get the thing done without pulling the intake. At this point I decided this was out of my league and I'm paying a shop to put the new tensioners in. When I was putting the fan back in, the accessories moved slightly, with the belt wrapped tight around everything. Thus I'm guessing the crank moved ever so slightly.

This is a dumb question, but is it possible its "jumped" off the teeth of the gears? Having seen many videos and many cutaways, it looks like it should be fine as the tensioner doesn't even supply tension when off. I understand that they are there for the slack side of the revolution, and I swore I've seen people bar the engine over to get it to the "easy" side for tensioner insertion. It has not been cranked since I've had the tensioner out obviously.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You’re probably fine

You’re probably fine

It did turn out fine. Still have a sometimes rattle on startup, sometimes persisting for ~30 seconds(weather dependent). Too bad, but putting pedal to the floor and cranking for 5 seconds isn't so bad of a fix. I'd rather replace a starter than a timing setup

A pre oiler would be a good investment

That’s what I do. If it hasn’t run in the last hour or two, I crank it with the pedal to the floor until it builds pressure, then let it fire.

My starter has 135k on it with no issues, so I don’t think it wears it out any faster

30 seconds of rattling is a lot though, even on a cold start……

You used FORD OEM tensioners right? Not that Cloyes junk?!?!?

That’s what I do. If it hasn’t run in the last hour or two, I crank it with the pedal to the floor until it builds pressure, then let it fire.

My starter has 135k on it with no issues, so I don’t think it wears it out any faster

30 seconds of rattling is a lot though, even on a cold start……

You used FORD OEM tensioners right? Not that Cloyes junk?!?!?

I was going to have the shop order what they wanted to use, but they decided to go with my parts I brought to explain them the situation. Pretty sure they were Melling.

A Pre oiler probably would have been a good investment when I got the vehicle ~6 years ago. The thing is now at 299.5km and 25 years. AFAIK it's never had the timing system done, just tensioners.

Back