Can turn front drive shaft - transfer case? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Can turn front drive shaft - transfer case?

brianmc

Reaction score
City, State
Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT
When the 4wd is engaged, there is a popping and binding sound. The 4wd works, it just makes a lot of noise. The truck has done this for a while now, but upon crawling under the truck and taking a peek, I can rotate my front driveshaft almost 3/4 of the way around. I know that is not good. Any clue as to what can be done to fix this because that is for sure what is causing the pops and clunks in 4wd? Am I looking a t-case rebuild?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

no, 4wd is not enganged when I can turn the shaft. But I would think that being able to turn it much at all would be a problem. In 4wd the theres a clunk that comes from about right under the drivers seat, which is approximatley right where the front drive shaft enters the case.

You should be able to turn the shaft when not in 4x4. From the transfer case side of things, you should be alright.

Most likely your problem lies in the front axle shaft u-joints. Mine made lots of bad noises when I did them because almost all the needle bearings were completely gone. Chances are that is your problem. The transfer cases in these trucks aren't known for failing in stock applications.

Well, I'm running the 5.5 superlift with 33s and 4.56s. But next time I get the chance I'm going to change out the U joints and see if that fixes the problem. Thanks

I can rotate my front driveshaft almost 3/4 of the way around. I know that is not good.
Do you still have the stock auto hubs, or manual hubs? If you have the stock auto hubs, this sounds about right. You should be able to rotate the front driveshaft (t-case in 2H) until the hubs lock. If you have manual hubs in free, you should be able to spin the front driveshaft indefinitely.

Oh, I did not know that and now I do. Do the u joints on the driveshaft have the potential to pop and clunk as I have described?

have somebody watch the axle U joints (by the spindles) while you turn the drive shaft back n' fourth 3/4 turn like you say it does.. if neither of them turns with the driveshaft, then i'd say you're spider gears are blown up in you're front dif.

Back