Can you patch this? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Can you patch this?

I'd take it to a shop and ask them, they are the pros on tire repairs.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would, so much meat

Phil

Can this tire still be repaired?

View attachment 160676
Can a tire shop repair it? They certainly can. Will they repair it? Depends on the shop and who is working at the time. Should a tire shop repair it? Not if they follow tire repair industry guidleines and don't want to assume the liability if the repair fails and something happens..

Can you repair it? You certainly can by buying a plug kit and repairing it yourself. Should you repair it? Probably not, but if you just need to drive on it for a few days while you wait on a replacement tire, that's up to you if you want to take the chance (plugs can allow air to get between the layers of rubber/tread). Can you drive on it long term? I don't think anyone can answer that definitively as it could be fine for thousands of miles or it could fail in a few miles.

Unsafe Tire Repair Methods Persist Despite Strong Evidence of Dangers

Did it even go through?

I see it's wet so you must have been looking for bubbles...

I would, so much meat

Phil

It isnt about the meat. It is about it being so close to the sidewalk that if cornering hard, flexes the edge and could cause an issue.

If it was more towards the inner section of the same thread, sure, but I wouldnt being on the outside edge.

Did it even go through?

I see it's wet so you must have been looking for bubbles...
I wondered the same thing until I looked closely at he bottom where it meets the road and that looks like it is flat.

Peter

First thing I do when I buy a new auto is to go to Discount Tire and buy their replavement warranty. For less than the cost of 1 tire, I have 100% replacement

Do not repair, replace.

...fyi unless you are a bruiser and can knowingly manipulate a plug patch into the tire, don't even try it on a spot that is repairable.
it takes a lot of force to get a plug in, most people cant do it and will end up damaging the hole or making it worse. (especially first time).

-cant comment on the fix a flat canned goop but seems like no one has tried that with these tires?

Do not repair, replace.

...fyi unless you are a bruiser and can knowingly manipulate a plug patch into the tire, don't even try it on a spot that is repairable.
it takes a lot of force to get a plug in, most people cant do it and will end up damaging the hole or making it worse. (especially first time).

-cant comment on the fix a flat canned goop but seems like no one has tried that with these tires?
Really? A bruiser?

Many of the local tire shops in my area are staffed by pimply faced youths that weigh all of 100 lbs wet or old codgers that look like they are on their last leg. They have no issue installing plug patches.

If you get the right kit a 5 year old kid can do a plug patch on a 4 ply tire. Now if you are running 8 ply tires that might be a different thing.

I carry a plug patch kit in my truck along with a air compressor and have used it a number of times in the back country. I even used it once on a weekend when all the tire shops around me were closed to plug a 4 ply tire. That 4 ply tire was like going through butter after plugging a 8 ply truck tire.

If you get the right kit a 5 year old kid can do a plug patch on a 4 ply tire. Now if you are running 8 ply tires that might be a different thing.

I carry a plug patch kit in my truck along with a air compressor and have used it a number of times in the back country. I even used it once on a weekend when all the tire shops around me were closed to plug a 4 ply tire. That 4 ply tire was like going through butter after plugging a 8 ply truck tire.

I suppose it's possible people are using the terms incorrectly, but a plug patch (or patch plug) requires the tire to be dismounted and is pulled through from inside the tire to seal both the internal surface (prevent air entering/separating any layers of rubber) and external surface (to prevent moisture from entering/damaging the belts).

I think what you are referring to are the simple plug kits as I can't imagine you are carrying around a tire mounting machine (I hate to assume though as I believe there is a poster here that has his own wheel balancing machine at home, so I suppose anything is possible).

old school simple plug:
plugkit.jpg

plug patch:
14041.jpg

Moderators got it.

Thank you.

I had a similar situation years ago on my 2011 Escape; the tire shop I've gone to for years also would not do a repair, as it was too close to the sidewall. Any sidewall damage seems to be considered non-repairable in the industry... and probably with good reason. A total failure of the sidewall can be dangerous (I had a complete sidewall failure years ago on a mountainous road; fortunately, it was on the rear, and traffic was light). Not fun!

I would plug that tire, and I have countless times on my mail vehicles since 1991. I don't plug holes in the sidewalls ever, but any of the tread surface is fair game. Shops will consider liability and maybe quality of the tire/brand to decide. I buy very good tires and I repair them on the car, I never use my spare. I can fix a flat in little more than five minutes.

That's an easy one.

Back