Cannot order 2011, must order 2012 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cannot order 2011, must order 2012

Border_Explorer

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 XLT 4WD
Hi All. I am new here and trying to become a new and first time Ford owner. I finally decided to take the plunge on a new car and chose the 2011 Ford Explorer. Went to the dealer on 6/6/2011 paid a deposit and got a order confirmation for a 2011 XLT with a few options and told 6-12 weeks before I can get the car. Not happy with the wait, but I can deal with it. Then on 6/7/2011 I got a call from the dealer stating I cannot order a 2011 and that if I still want the car I have to order a 2012 Explorer. I guess I am okay with this but I really have a problem paying $40K for a car I cannot even find out information about. No exterior pictures, no interior pictures, nothing except what the dealer told me today. Some new colors are now available, some package differences, new SYNC feature I cannot find information on. Has anyone else tried to order a 2011 and recently told you have to order a 2012? Does anyone know of any 2012 information sources? I have a problem that Ford forces me to buy a product that is not "officially" released and no way of doing some independent research. I would like to know what you folks think. I was excited after I left the dealer yesterday, but now I am re-thinking the whole purchase now. I feel like I made a good faith deal backed with cash and now I am told to buy something I have not seen yet. Am I over thinking this and should now worry? Need advise. Thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No problem in being cautious, but the 2011 order window is indeed closed. Any new Ex ordered will be a 2012 now. They're starting 2012 production runs shortly.

Nothing is really changing except for some colors, so if you go look at a 2011, it will be the same truck for all intents and purposes.

Ordered 2011 Explorer Limited on June 2. Should get confirmation this week on order status.

No offense, but I think you are over thinking this. But its ok to ask questions here, of course. The 2012 is pretty much identical to the 2011 except for the color changes, the addition of a new engine, and few package changes. So, if you go look at a 2011, you know what you are getting. If you want a car you can touch and feel the exact one before you buy, then get a 2011 off the lot, or have you dealer search for one that matches your criteria. But, you were never getting that option when you ordered anyway.

The 2011's are ending production soon, so it makes sense that a dealer can't place an order for one anymore. Personally, I was waiting for the 2012, so I think you should be happy. Hopefully Ford will fix some of the issues for 2012.

Border_Explorer, like Joe Dirt and goofydisneydaddy said, the changes between the 2011MY and 2012MY are very small. Have you seen any of the 2011 Explorers on the lot right now? Let me know if there’s anything specific you’d like me to research for you!

kitechaser, let me know if you’d like me to keep you up to date with your order status. So I can do this, please send me a PM with your order number & dealer name / dealer code.

Cory

Just got the car from my car salesman and they can not order the 2011 so we placed order for 2012.

Cory, I will let you know what the order number is when I find out what it is.

Thanks,

Just got the car from my car salesman and they can not order the 2011 so we placed order for 2012.

Cory, I will let you know what the order number is when I find out what it is.

Thanks,
Great; let me know. I think it helps with the wait when you’re kept in the loop on the current status for your order!

Cory

Well...I think I was over analyzing this purchase. goofydisneydaddy is correct. I am also surprised they took the order for a 2011. From what I have been reading you have not been able to order a 2011 for weeks. I went back to the dealer today (6/8/2011) and re-ordered a MY2012. Rehashed the purchase with the wife and slept on it. I think I was just pissed with having to redo the order and the fact that it was going to cost me more money. At the end of the day the only thing that made me happy was the dealer will honor the agreed upon price for the 2011. I am getting a couple of small things that I dont have to pay extra for. They told me its in the system...but they told me that last time. The dealer stated in about 10 days I should have a VIN....which I do not believe. I think in reality it will be several weeks before I get a VIN. Unfortunately I dont trust anything this dealer says until I confirm it. They also told me 6-12 weeks until I get the car and I just hope its not more then 12. So I took the plunge(again) and now playing the waiting game. I wish there was a way for customers to track order status without having to call someone.

Well...I think I was over analyzing this purchase. goofydisneydaddy is correct. I am also surprised they took the order for a 2011. From what I have been reading you have not been able to order a 2011 for weeks. I went back to the dealer today (6/8/2011) and re-ordered a MY2012. Rehashed the purchase with the wife and slept on it. I think I was just pissed with having to redo the order and the fact that it was going to cost me more money. At the end of the day the only thing that made me happy was the dealer will honor the agreed upon price for the 2011. I am getting a couple of small things that I dont have to pay extra for. They told me its in the system...but they told me that last time. The dealer stated in about 10 days I should have a VIN....which I do not believe. I think in reality it will be several weeks before I get a VIN. Unfortunately I dont trust anything this dealer says until I confirm it. They also told me 6-12 weeks until I get the car and I just hope its not more then 12. So I took the plunge(again) and now playing the waiting game. I wish there was a way for customers to track order status without having to call someone.

Get a VIN so you know it's real then do what ever it takes to forget about it!

I’m glad to you hear you got some extras out of this. When they told you that it’s in the system, did they give you the order number? If you send me that in a private message (along with the dealer name), I can research your order in my tracking system. Once the Explorer is scheduled and a VIN is assigned, I can keep you in the loop with any available updates!

Cory

Friday I ordered my 2012 Ex Ltd, put money down and did not get an order number.
Is it common to walk out of the dealership without an order number?

The salesman does not order the car. Normally the dealership has a person who does all the ordering. At the dealership I went too, I was told Ford picks up orders once a week on Thursdays. I would give them a few days then ask your salesman for the order number.

Friday I ordered my 2012 Ex Ltd, put money down and did not get an order number.
Is it common to walk out of the dealership without an order number?
Yes, it’s normal. It’s possible the dealer hasn’t submitted the order yet. I would try calling and asking tomorrow for the order number. Also, feel free to send me a PM with the dealer name / dealer code and the order number so I can keep you in the loop with your current order status!

Cory

Vin

Get a VIN so you know it's real then do what ever it takes to forget about it!

I got my VIN on Friday 6/24....just waiting for build date. I suspect it will be late July...hopefully it will get built before August...Would be nice to get it before the end of the summer.

Told I was getting a 2011 soon...now the wait for a 2012

I placed a deposit for a 2011 FWD Limited Explorer on 6/1/11 & was told to expect it to arrive in 5-6 weeks. Called Friday to check in for a VIN or some other confirmation. Found out today that they order was not accepted by Ford and they did not know when they could place an order for a 2012. Why can I find out more from reading this forum than the guys that work at a Ford Dealership? Very irritating and disappointing. I am not overly concerned about the 2012 vs the 2011. The timing is probably not what I had planned for but it will work. I even asked multiple times if orders were being accepted. It is clear why car salespeople get a bad wrap. Not knowledgeable about their product/process/company, poor communicators.

6/28 update: My dealer seems to think orders will not be processed for 2-4 weeks. It is rather discouraging that they seem to uninformed

Yes, it’s normal. It’s possible the dealer hasn’t submitted the order yet. I would try calling and asking tomorrow for the order number. Also, feel free to send me a PM with the dealer name / dealer code and the order number so I can keep you in the loop with your current order status!

Cory

Thanks Cory and kitechaser,

Cory - I called and he gave me what he thinks is the order number. I'll send you the details in a PM.

Thanks for all the great service that you provide members of this forum! MUCH appreciated

Thanks Cory and kitechaser,

Cory - I called and he gave me what he thinks is the order number. I'll send you the details in a PM.

Thanks for all the great service that you provide members of this forum! MUCH appreciated
You’re welcome! I got your message and I’ll send you a reply as soon as possible.

Cory

Hey everybody I'm new to the forum and this is my first post. I ordered a 2011 XLT on 6/7. After seeing the issues with tuxedo black online I called the dealership today. The dealer informed me that I would be getting a '12 and that they had submitted the order but needed to see if it was basically accepted on Thursday. Any further details on the process? I was anticipating arrival mid August. Thoughts on how much further back it will be?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back